× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Newbie looking to buy, what do I need?

richmc
Aspirant

Newbie looking to buy, what do I need?

I'm looking to set up a NAS system mainly for home media streaming my thoughts are -

NetGear ReadyNAS Duo V2
2 x WD30EFRX (Jbod)
USB TV tuner (for PVR)

I would also like to back up my home PCs, rather than use the internal disks can i use a plug in usb brive with the unit?

I have a Panasonic TY with network capability with Viera link and would like to use the unit as a PVR.

I also have a Samsung TV that I would like to stream to, anyone know of a LAN to HDMI type unit that will allow this?

And lastly is there any point in upping the internal memory of the NAS? and what spec memory is required.
Message 1 of 7
Skywarp
Tutor

I wouldn't recommend running JBOD, use RAID1 or get a NV+ v2 and use XRAID2 for redundancy

You can attach USB harddrives, to use as storage or for backup.

I don't know if you can use it for storage for the PVR, don't know what Panasonic uses/needs.

Memory is soldered on, so no upgrading that 😞
Message 2 of 7
richmc
Aspirant

Thanks for the swift reply Skywarp. I intend using JBOD as I have all the media I own elsware (5000 CDs in the loft, 2000 DVDs likewise!) so I dont need the security of raid just the capacity to store the most accessed, 6T should hold quita a few films as I rip them and back them up at around 4.5G each
The Panasonic can see windows 7 as a media server without problems so hopfully it will see the ReadyNAS.
As for PVR, on the Netgear home page theres an item showing a USB TV being used.
The only thing I'm not sure will work is the Samsung TV, it's 3 years old and has no LAN access although I have a sony BluRay that does, I just thought there might be a box I can use to interface Lan to HDMI.
Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

richmc wrote:
The only thing I'm not sure will work is the Samsung TV, it's 3 years old and has no LAN access although I have a sony BluRay that does, I just thought there might be a box I can use to interface Lan to HDMI.
There are lots of media players out there, including several that can access the shared files directly (nfs or cifs) without needing DLNA. Are you looking for a home theater experience (extensive surround sound support)? Or just a normal TV viewing experience?
Message 4 of 7
richmc
Aspirant

I have a surround system Onkyo amp, and 5.1 set up so being able to go through that would be an advantage. I have a very bulky home theater/media PC, Zalman based and I thought a ReadyNAS would be a more elegant solution to store media, provide a PVR and to back up data (though not using raid) from my other PCs.
Message 5 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Not sure about whether you can really get a PVR hosted on the NAS, though it is certainly practical to store your media there.

WD Live is one media player you could look into - relatively inexpensive, small, and handles most formats.
Message 6 of 7
richmc
Aspirant

Hi Stephen, I'm hoping to use the NAS as the PVR as per - http://www.readynas.com/?p=6658

As Dabs are doing a deal I've just ordered a 2 bay ReadyNAS Duo V2, with 2 WD red 3T drives and a HD USB TV Dongle. I also ordered a USB3 HDD case for one of my to soon be redundant 1T WD green drives to use for stuff other than media storage, i.e. backup etc.

I do like the idea of the WD box but alas no Lovefilm 😞
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements