× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: No access to Dashboard (configuration)

tuwat
Aspirant

No access to Dashboard (configuration)

The ReadyNas has the final firmware 5.3.13

Win 7 and WIN XP  Browser Firefox and Internetexplorer. All with newest patches.

When Connected to my second LAN Input 192.168.2.xxx without internet acess,I receive following Messages:

This connection is not secure
The owner of 192.168.2.25 did not properly configure the site. Firefox has not affiliated with this site to protect your information from theft.
Additional Information…
Report bugs to Mozilla to help identify and block malicious sites
back / extended

192.168.2.25 uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because it was signed by the issuer himself.
Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER
Add an exception

Address https://192.168.2.25/admin/
Certificate Status
This website attempts to identify yourself with invalid information.
Unknown identity
The certificate is not trusted because it has not been verified to be issued by a trusted authority using a secure signature.

But at least, after adding the exeption, I have acess to the Dashboard and I myself have acess to my shares. But The NAS ist not connected to the Internet via my computer. That seems to be correct.

When my ReadyNAS is connected  to the  switch of my internetconnection at first LAN input of my PC , 192.168.2.xxx  too, I get the Following Message.

Error: Connection failed
Firefox can not connect to the server at 192.168.2.25.
The site may be temporarily down, please try again later.
If you can not visit another website, please check the network / internet connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, please make sure Firefox can access the Internet.

This message appears in all OS and browsers.

This seems to be the result of a security issue with Netgear hardware.

Recently I put 3 netgear ProSafe 802.11g, WG 102 accesspoints into the wastebox due to similar behavior.

When I leave my ReadyNAS at my second Lan Input and connected sucessfull to the Dashboard, and than add internetaccess to that LAN2 via switch, the Dashboard goes offline.

Can anybody help me ore do I have to expose this Readynas to the wastebox.

Model: ReadyNAS RND4000v2|ReadyNAS NV+ v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: No access to Dashboard (configuration)

@tuwat wrote:

192.168.2.25 uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because it was signed by the issuer himself.
Error code: SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER
Add an exception

All ReadyNAS use self-signed certificates, so you will either need to add the exception, or click through the browser warning.  The connection is still encrypted, the security concern is that a man-in-the-middle attack is possible (a server that somehow gets between your client and the NAS could also use a self-signed certificate with 192.168.2.25 as it's IP address).  It's not a concern on your home network, but could be if you access the NAS over the internet. 

Personally I don't recommend allowing internet access for a legacy ReadyNAS anyway, since it is no longer receiving firmware updates with security patches.

@tuwat wrote:

When my ReadyNAS is connected  to the  switch of my internetconnection at first LAN input of my PC , 192.168.2.xxx  too, I get the Following Message.

Error: Connection failed

Likely the PC IP address for that LAN port is misconfigured. Another possibility is that the NAS is using DHCP, and is failing over to a different IP address when you directly connect it to the PC LAN port.

Can you give us more information on the connection path?  What IP address is the PC using for that LAN port?  Also, check with RAIDar, and tell us what IP address it is showing for the NAS.  https://kb.netgear.com/20684/ReadyNAS-Downloads#raidar

Message 2 of 5
tuwat
Aspirant

Thank you for your message.

My second LAN-Port has the IP 192.168.2.2 (without internetaccess)

With no standard Gateway and DNS server assigned.

From here I can access my ReadyNAS dashboard with warning messages and exeption agreement.

My first LAN-Port has the IP 192,168.2.3

Standard Gateway and DNS-server is my Fritzbox (Router) IP 192.168.2.1

Thats my connection to Internet and inhouse LAN and WLAN with several connected devices like TV. Sat-Receiver, Smartphones, Printer, Tablet and additional PCs.

DHCP is configured from 192.168.2.50 to 192.168.2.100.

The ReadyNAS has the fixed IP 192,168.2.25

When the ReadyNAS ist connected to this LAN, connection of Dashboard is refused without possibility for an exeption agreement. Just refused, nothing more.

Raidar 6.4.0 is working pretty fine. It shows the correct IP-adress..

The middle Button gives me access to my data in both mentioned configurations.

The admin-button opens a new browsertab with login for admin when connected to second LAN-port.

When connected withe LAN 1 192.168.2.3 the Buttton opens a new browsertab and a refused connection as explained. ( with firefox and IE)

Will there be a solution, even by overwrting some security aspects?

The remote access to my Router and though the TeadyNAS ist managed with AVM Myfritz, but does not work now. Because I cannot access my Dashboard in configuration2 (with InternetLAN) I can not verify if the ReadyNAS has internet access.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@tuwat wrote:

My second LAN-Port has the IP 192.168.2.2 (without internetaccess)

With no standard Gateway and DNS server assigned.

From here I can access my ReadyNAS dashboard with warning messages and exception agreement.

My first LAN-Port has the IP 192.168.2.3

DHCP is configured from 192.168.2.50 to 192.168.2.100.

The ReadyNAS has the fixed IP 192.168.2.25

When the ReadyNAS ist connected to this LAN, connection of Dashboard is refused without possibility for an exception agreement. 

The middle Button gives me access to my data in both mentioned configurations.

This is one I haven't seen before.

One way to verify internet access is to download the log zip file when the NAS is directly connected to the PC.  Then search system.log in the zip file for NTP time sync messages.  If the time is being synced, then the NAS is connected to the internet.

I don't own an OS 5 NAS, so I don't know the format of the NTP message in the log.exactly what format the NTP message will use.  Some ReadyNAS use this format:

ntpdate[17233]: step time server x.x.x.x offset 0.250609 sec

Others use

ntp: adjust (slew): -0.002835 sec

On the main problem - can you reach the NAS admin page using a different device (another PC, or maybe a phone)?  Just browse to http://192.168.2.25/admin in the devices browser.  Alternatively, try disabling the second (192.168.2.2) LAN port, and see if the behavior changes.

Do you have internet security software enabled on the PC? 

Message 4 of 5
tuwat
Aspirant

Thank you for helping me.

After several shutdowns and restarts the device works normally again. Other cable connections were chosen.
I can not reproduce the malfunction.
Thank you very much.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements