× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Not getting space back after deleting ISCSI LUN

matthalion
Aspirant

Not getting space back after deleting ISCSI LUN

Hello

I am running a ReadyNAS 104 with 4 x 4TB drives in it. Firmware 6.9.2.

At some point I created 2 ISCSI LUNs for handling backups from Windows Server, each were 500GB in size and Thick provisioned. When they were created they carved the space out of my data volume and reduced the size to 10.9TB.

These LUNs have since been removed, however, my data volume still shows as being 10.9TB. As I no longer need these ISCSI LUNs I need to reclaim the storage back.

I have tried searching online and found the following tips to assist but ultimately anything that "works" was sent to users as PMs hence the need for me to now open a discussion to get to the bottom of this.

This, from what I have seen on the forums, is a wide issue affecting multiple users so can I suggest a fix is explicitly written to the public audience perhaps as a KB article? That way users can be directed to that to fix it rather than finding entries on posts such as "sent you a PM" and "that worked" in response to a PM.

So far I have tried the following:

- Array balance

- Check for anything under the /data/.purge folder (empty)

Due to the size of the data involved I am unable to back it all up to another location in one go and do a factory reset so please do not suggest that is the only thing that will fix it.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Not getting space back after deleting ISCSI LUN

@matthalion wrote:

At some point I created 2 ISCSI LUNs for handling backups from Windows Server, each were 500GB in size and Thick provisioned. When they were created they carved the space out of my data volume and reduced the size to 10.9TB.

You are confused on this.

4x4TB XRAID/RAID-5 gives you a 12 TB data volume.  But the NAS reports space in TiB (1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes) not TB (1000*1000*1000*1000 bytes).  Unfortunately it uses the TB label (Windows does the same).  12 TB is the same as 10.9 TiB. (FWIW, if you enter "12 TB in TiB" into google or bing, the search engines will convert the units for you).

So the LUN space wasn't carved out of the total data volume size.  The two LUNs did take 1 TB of space on the data volume, and you should have seen the free space go up shortly after you deleted them.  If you didn't see that, then try doing a balance from the volume settings wheel.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@matthalion wrote:

You are confused on this.

4x4TB XRAID/RAID-5 gives you a 12 TB data volume.  But the NAS reports space in TiB (1024*1024*1024*1024 bytes) not TB (1000*1000*1000*1000 bytes).  Unfortunately it uses the TB label (Windows does the same).  12 TB is the same as 10.9 TiB. (FWIW, if you enter "12 TB in TiB" into google or bing, the search engines will convert the units for you).

So the LUN space wasn't carved out of the total data volume size.  The two LUNs did take 1 TB of space on the data volume, and you should have seen the free space go up shortly after you deleted them.  If you didn't see that, then try doing a balance from the volume settings wheel.

Message 2 of 3
matthalion
Aspirant

Thank you for the explanation.

As the LUNs were created immediately after expanding the storage to 4 x 4TB drives I did not realise that the data volume was still reporting correctly when the LUNs were removed.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements