× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS 6.10 Hotfix 2 installed, cannot see shares on Win network

e_John
Aspirant

OS 6.10 Hotfix 2 installed, cannot see shares on Win network

We have been running our ReadyNAS successfully for a few years.  Updated the OS this week, and now the shares and the entire ReadyNAS are not available, not visible with SMB.  Yes, I can get to the device and see the shares by accessing //ReadyNAS, but that gives me the console, etc.  I need the native Windows folder sharing, like //readynas/photos as a shared folder.  It does not work.

I am using Windows 10 as a client and also part of a Windows Server 2008 R2 Active Directory Domain.

Model: RN2120|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Calling //ReadyNAS from Windows Explorer will open a Web browser, and show the same result if calling the same in a Web browser. WIndows does take this as shortcut for an URL, like https://ReaeyNAS

Calling \\ReadyNAS or \\redynas\photos will give access to the NAS shared folders.

Complete unrelated to the ReadyNAS - plan standard Windows. 

Message 2 of 10
e_John
Aspirant

I think you did not understand the issue.

READYNAS is not accessible on the network.  It is fully accessible by IP address.

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Well, hard to understand as you said...

"Yes, I can get to the device and see the shares by accessing //ReadyNAS, but that gives me the console,"

...so that does not read like a name resolution thing.

Windows 10 can use WS-Discovery, NetBIOS (permitting SMB 1.0/CIFS feature is installed), and DNS for the name resolution. 

For the discovery so the ReadyNAS does become visible in Windows Explorer, WS-Discovery (default on in RN OS 6.10) and NetBIOS (needs to be enabled on both sides - Legacy Windws Discovery in the RN SMB settings, SMB 1.0/CIFS Client feature on Windows).

These will show up in the "Network" section as a PC/System/Computer

Windows Explorer WSD and NetBIOS host discovery.PNG

@e_John wrote:

READYNAS is not accessible on the network.  It is fully accessible by IP address.

This I definitively can't understand. IP doesn't use the netowrk?

Message 4 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@e_John wrote:

I think you did not understand the issue.

Well, you started by saying that entering  //readynas opened up your web browser.

@schumaku replied by telling you that is how Windows works.  If you want to access a share in file explorer you need to enter \\readynas\photos.  Perhaps you just typed the wrong slash?

Message 5 of 10
e_John
Aspirant

>>>

@schumaku replied by telling you that is how Windows works.  If you want to access a share in file explorer you need to enter \\readynas\photos.  Perhaps you just typed the wrong slash?

<<<

No, not that easy.  I just cannot access ReadyNAS as a device.  I can access it by IP address, and it shows up in the Windows Network, but cannot access it.  Sounds like either a NETBIOS or DNS thing, but not finding it.  Only common denominator was the upgrade in OS.

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@e_John wrote:

No, not that easy.  I just cannot access ReadyNAS as a device.  I can access it by IP address, and it shows up in the Windows Network, but cannot access it.  

Try running CMD (by typing CMD in the windows search bar)

Then enter

net use * /delete /y
net use t: \\nas-ip-address\data /user:admin nas-admin-password

Use the actual NAS ip address and nas admin password of course.  Be careful on the typing (particularly slash directions and spaces).

The first command terminates any open network sessions.   The second command attempts to mount the NAS data volume as drive letter T.  Note that data is the NAS volume name when you use XRAID.  If you are using FlexRAID, you would need to substitute whatever volume name you entered when you created the volume.

Let us know whhat happens with these commands.

Message 7 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

Hm, OS 6.10 Hotfix 2 does refer to MacOS, not Windows isn't it?

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

Hm, OS 6.10 Hotfix 2 does refer to MacOS, not Windows isn't it?

I believe 6.10.0 Hotfix 2 is his NAS firmware

Message 9 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

@e_John wrote:

No, not that easy.  I just cannot access ReadyNAS as a device.  I can access it by IP address, and it shows up in the Windows Network, but cannot access it.  Sounds like either a NETBIOS or DNS thing, but not finding it.  Only common denominator was the upgrade in OS.

That is, unfortunately, not uncommon.  I've seen the same issue posted on other brand NAS forums, and I have suffered from it through several OS updates.  You can try some of the methods suggested, but it may just not work.  A work-around is to put the NAS name in the Windows HOSTS file.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements