× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

OS6.10.3 User home folders not being created

atebit
Tutor

OS6.10.3 User home folders not being created

So I have created two user accounts in addition to the existing admin account.  When I double click on Shares/Home Folders, no folders show up.  I read in the documentation that the folders are created the first time the user logs in.  I have logged into the ReadyNAS as all three users, but there are still no hoome folders.

I am using a Mac, and have tried to browse to <ReadyNAS IP>/<username> but I get a "File not found" page.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
atebit
Tutor

Re: OS6.10.3 User home folders not being created

OK, so I think I figured it out.  The OS6 software documentation says that "the home folder is created the first time the user logs in".  So I was trying to log into the ReadyNAS with that username & finding no home folder was created.  In reality, what I think the doucmentation should say is, "the home folder is created the first time the user attempts to access it".  I went into Finder/Connect to server... and entered the afp URI for the ReadyNAS, and was then presented with the usual log in dialog.  When I entered the correct user credentials the folder then appeared in Finder as well as on the ReadyNAS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
atebit
Tutor

OK, so I think I figured it out.  The OS6 software documentation says that "the home folder is created the first time the user logs in".  So I was trying to log into the ReadyNAS with that username & finding no home folder was created.  In reality, what I think the doucmentation should say is, "the home folder is created the first time the user attempts to access it".  I went into Finder/Connect to server... and entered the afp URI for the ReadyNAS, and was then presented with the usual log in dialog.  When I entered the correct user credentials the folder then appeared in Finder as well as on the ReadyNAS.

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

I'm not sure why you are using AFP, which Apple is depreciating -- SMB (with "Mac enhancements" enabled on the NAS) is likely a better choice unless you have Macs with very old OSes.

I believe the shares are created at logon if that is done using SMB (it certainly used to be), but AFP may work differently.

Message 3 of 6
atebit
Tutor

It works for both. The point of the post is I believe the documentation should be re-worded to indicate what’s actually required (accessing the share) vs “logging in”.
Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@atebit wrote:
It works for both. The point of the post is I believe the documentation should be re-worded to indicate what’s actually required (accessing the share) vs “logging in”.

I agree it is confusing.

But personally I think the admin ui should (optionally) let you create the home folder when you create the account. That would also make it much simpler if you need to rebuild the NAS and restore data from backup.

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

On my "sandbox" Intel-based NAS running OS 6.10.3, I just tried this and the user folder was created when I accessed the NAS top level with a new user ID.  It was not necessary to attempt to view the user folder.  In AFP, if it is possible to "log in" without actually connecting to any shares, then perhaps that is the difference.

If your NAS does not behave this way, then something is amiss.  I did not try on an ARM based NAS, so there could be a (probably unintentional) difference there.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements