× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OS6 USB Reinstall on Pro 6 (legacy, upgraded)?

jolo2
Star

OS6 USB Reinstall on Pro 6 (legacy, upgraded)?

I have shut myself out of my Pro 6.  (It seems the email server was switched off, so the password reset doesn't work.)  I think there are two options:

1.) To use the USB Recovery Tool (https://kb.netgear.com/29952/How-do-I-use-the-USB-Recovery-Tool-on-my-ReadyNAS-OS-6-storage-system) but I've had no success with that.  I have created a FAT32 USB tool drive with the latest 6.1.1 OS image.  I am assuming that I boot the NAS with the USB drive in the front USB slot while pressing the backup button on the front, and the unit should then attempt to boot from the usb drive.  This fails.

2.) To press the reset switch on the back of the unit at bootup, which should take me to a boot menu and I can select "OS Reinstall" from the boot menu (https://kb.netgear.com/21107/How-do-I-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-ReadyNAS-Ultra-6-Ultra-6-Plus-Pro-6...).  However, since this is a legacy Pro 6 already upgraded to OS6, I'm wondering if this is possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.  I'd like to get back in to the NAS!

Model: RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
bedlam1
Prodigy

Your Option 2 will work fine, the Admin password will change to the default of password

Some other settings may change too, like quotas being switched off, check your network settings too

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
bedlam1
Prodigy

Your Option 2 will work fine, the Admin password will change to the default of password

Some other settings may change too, like quotas being switched off, check your network settings too

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

USB recovery wouldn't necessarilly do it, anyway.  The OS re-install is the right thing.

But if you (or anyone else reading this) ever really does need to do a USB recovery with a legacy NAS running OS6.x, you have to use the procedure for a 4.2.x NAS but with a modified OS6 image (like you used for the original conversion).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements