× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Official HCL for external USB?

ferg1
Guide

Official HCL for external USB?

Hi,

the link for the official HCL for external drives simply points back to the community page. Is this a dodgy link or is the community HCL recognised as official?

Confused.... and wanting to buy a 3TB drive for my Pro 6.
Message 1 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Due to the large range of USB disks available you should try one that the community has found to work.
Message 2 of 15
ferg1
Guide

Thanks.

So is the official position that there is no official HCL?
Message 3 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes there is no official HCL for USB disks for the Pro 6
Message 4 of 15
ferg1
Guide

Thanks a lot for your help.
Message 5 of 15
glashoppah
Aspirant

Ummmm - before coughing up hundreds of dollars for large external USB drives, how can one find out which ones will work - I know "the community" is a resource, but how do I discover what "the community" has discovered? Am I to poke through every thread?

H.
Message 6 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 7 of 15
glashoppah
Aspirant

Ummm - that just takes me back to the parent forum of this very thread, it appears. 😞

H.
Message 8 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you don't see the model you want listed you could try it and see if it is compatible.
Message 9 of 15
glashoppah
Aspirant

I may be missing something - I don't see a list of models. I don't know what I want other than a working drive. I do know I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars only to find that the device I just bought does not work.

H.
Message 10 of 15
StephenB
Guru

Netgear doesn't provide USB HCL, so all you can get is community feedback.

Maybe try starting a new thread, posting the drive model you are considering buying, and asking the community if anyone else has experience with it.

If this drive intended for backup, or something else?
Message 11 of 15

StephenB wrote:
Netgear doesn't provide USB HCL, so all you can get is community feedback.
Why the hell doesn't it, though? When I bought my Duo v2, I naively assumed that I'd be able to plug in my existing 500Gb Iomega USB hard drive - after all, why wouldn't I? It works perfectly well with any PC I've ever connected it to - and was surprised and annoyed to find that it didn't work. It was only after a bit of digging that I found out about this whole issue.

Maybe it's just me, but given what I'd consider to be a fairly major problem I'd have thought Netgear would have fallen over themselves to provide a decent list of known working USB drives.

I'm still in the position of having to buy another USB drive myself, but after all I've read here I'm still totally unclear about which model I can safely buy and am nervous about doing so. Bizarre.
Message 12 of 15
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There is a list for the Duo v2: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=66486

There are way too many different USB drives out there to test them all.
Message 13 of 15

mdgm wrote:
There is a list for the Duo v2: [url]http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=66486[/url
]Mm, and I'll probably have to pick one off that; but reading the forum generates enough posts by people who've had problems with drives listed there to make me worried about dropping my cash on one.

There are way too many different USB drives out there to test them all.
Why would Netgear need to test them all? They provide an official list of about 50 HDDs approved for use inside the NAS; why on earth can't they do similar for USB drives?

I still don't get why it seems to be the exception rather than the rule that a bog-standard USB drive will work.
Message 14 of 15
HPCHelp
Aspirant

As a newbie here - I can understand this frustration as it is the same problem I am trying to sort for somebody else.

I just posted this on the WDD thread as my first post re the WD MyPassport drives..:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=71608

(I am not allowed to post URL's apparently)
Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements