× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Old Pro vs New Pro?

sleepy06405
Aspirant

Old Pro vs New Pro?

Is there a reference somewhere that explains the differences between what people refer to as the old pro and new pro are?

I'm extra curious about which intel chipset is in the new pro?
Message 1 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Old Pro vs New Pro?

Old Pro is the Pro Business Edition or Pro Pioneer.

The successor to the Pro Pioneer is the Ultra 6 Plus (now discontinued as well. NetGear recommends the Pro 6).

The successor to the Pro Business Edition is the Pro 6.

Main difference is the CPU used. See CPU Specs of the ReadyNAS

The new Pro has newer revisions of internal boards etc.
Message 2 of 9
sleepy06405
Aspirant

Oh goodie that means I have a new pro. Thanks!
Message 3 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You have the Pro 6 (RNDP6000-200) with the 2.6Ghz CPU?
Message 4 of 9
sleepy06405
Aspirant

Yes, it came with a PentiumD E5300. I happily voided the warranty and replaced it with a 6700 core2duo chip. I'm wondering if I can find something even faster for it. I'd like more speed for transcoding.
Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Still finding the CPU is maxed out even with the Core2Duo CPU? I don't know if there's something faster or not. I don't think many Pro 6 users have looked into putting a faster CPU in yet as the E5300 is overkill (but the Pro 6 is a good NAS to buy now to have for a long time) for most users.

Do be aware that even though the warranty is voided depending on the nature of the problem some help may be able to be provided by the community here on the forum if you run into issues.
Message 6 of 9
sleepy06405
Aspirant

Yes I easily max out the e5300 or e6700 during transcoding. I'm using the readynas to replace a box with a qx6700. Oh man I love that chip. It was released almost 6 years ago and is a tie with my fancy new i7. Being on the downside of the cpu price curve is a nice place to be.

I'm probably stuck at the e6700 unless I want to replace the ram with something faster. e6700 c2d is the most powerful of the 1066 bus chips.

I don't have much luck on support for cpu info here. It seems like a guy like me creates a thread, leaves some details and disappears. If one actually comes out and asks, the only responses are the warranty warners 🙂
Message 7 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not many people have sought to upgrade the CPU on the Pro 6 yet. There's a long running thread with examples of what's been done with the first gen Pro though (http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=29284)

As it's something that NetGear doesn't support they're not going to encourage users to do such an upgrade, though for various reasons they do test CPUs themselves from time to time. Upgrading the CPU is a dangerous procedure. It's easy to damage the NAS hardware installing a replacement CPU incorrectly or by using one that gets too hot too quickly.
Message 8 of 9
sleepy06405
Aspirant

Its all about experience level and knowing your limits. Never trust what some random guy like me says on a forum. Do your own research too! Ask a friend like me locally for help. If you don't have one, go to a local linux meeting. Thats where we hang out and are always happy to help folks improve their skills. Well AA meetings too but we're harder to spot there 🙂

Stock CPU Specs:
http://ark.intel.com/products/35300/Int ... 00-MHz-FSB)

Upgraded CPU Specs:
http://ark.intel.com/products/27251/Int ... 66-MHz-FSB)

CPU that works but runs too hot:
http://ark.intel.com/products/30790/Int ... 66-MHz-FSB)

Unless you can read those three pages and understand the differences between those CPUs, you shouldn't being doing this. Unless you're willing to bet $1000 that you're right, you shouldn't be doing this.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements