× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Out Of Memory ReadyNAS316 Crash

betsuin
Aspirant

Out Of Memory ReadyNAS316 Crash

Hi, getting OOM (Out Of Memory) errors in log and the NAS is becoming unresponsive.

NetGear ReadyNAS316, firmware 6.10.8 with 2GB RAM

History, recently we realized the HDDs (6 x 4TB in RAID5) were getting old 6+ years so we started to swap the old ones out and new ones in. The first drive went in and about 24 hours later had finished resyncing. The next drive went in and the NAS RAID failed. Turns out 2 x HDD failed and took out the whole thing. This is our secondary back up NAS so we simply swapped in all the new HDDs, rebuilt the RAID and started to replicate from our primary NAS which is the same model.

A day or so later the secondary NAS had dropped off of the LAN, I checked it and the front panel had "btrfs_truncate_inode_items+84d" displayed. I held in the power switch behind the front panel and then rebooted the NAS. Again about a day later it had become unresponsive with the same message on the front panel.

Investigating log I could see pretty much the last thing was an OOM entry and a SMBD process had been killed.

Digging in it looks to have had some 177 SMBD processes running which seems a bit over the top.

I am organizing to put a 4GB RAM stick in but I am not sure if that really is the issue.

I have log of course which I can upload if someone can assist.

Regards, Ross

Message 1 of 3
betsuin
Aspirant

Re: Out Of Memory ReadyNAS316 Crash

The 316 fell over again, this time I have a monitor & keyboard hooked up to it.

The display is "spewing" endless stuff and no response to keyboard commands.

Please see the attached picture.

Maybe it is bad RAM though I did use the boot menu to run a RAM check which passed with zero errors after 3 passes.

NAS_Fury_Still.jpg

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Out Of Memory ReadyNAS316 Crash

Does it do the same thing if you remove the disks?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements