× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OwnCloud 6 for R6

WhoCares_
Mentor

OwnCloud 6 for R6

Just to let you know: OwnCloud 6 for ReadyNAS 6 is now available.

-Stefan
Message 1 of 8
devos
Tutor

Really good, everything works fine, but it's really really slow, I can't use it almost because it's so slow to upload / sync files.
Also the webUI is really really slow.

Do someone know how to speed it up?
I got 1000Mbit at my LAN, and if I transfer a file trough AFP the speed is like 50MB/s so it's nothing wrong with the NAS.
Message 2 of 8
fastfwd
Virtuoso

devos wrote:
Really good, everything works fine, but it's really really slow, I can't use it almost because it's so slow to upload / sync files.
Also the webUI is really really slow.

Do someone know how to speed it up?
I got 1000Mbit at my LAN, and if I transfer a file trough AFP the speed is like 50MB/s so it's nothing wrong with the NAS.

Owncloud is a large PHP application running on a webserver with a MySQL database managing a large data store. For serious use with many users, it requires multiple load-balanced app servers, a separate database cluster, and a separate storage node. If it's only supporting a few users, it will run tolerably well on a single machine with a 3GHz dual-core x86-64 and 4GB RAM (like the RN516) if the MySQL server is carefully tuned.

Your RN102 is really not designed for that sort of application; its 1.2GHz single-core 32-bit CPU is optimized for low power rather than high performance, its integrated peripherals are slower than dedicated external systems, and the small RAM is just not sufficient to efficiently run all the processes required by OwnCloud along with the basic NAS functionality. The entire RN102 box costs about as much as the CPU in the RN516, though, so this should not come as a surprise.

If you just want a simple Dropbox replacement -- a way to sync folders on your NAS with folders on your PCs -- take a look at BitTorrent Sync (BTSync): http://www.bittorrent.com/sync. Super-Poussin has built a BTSync addon for the OS6 devices; you can get it here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ie9pwk1wut72ias/p6_X2QeOIC (use the 1.2.82 version).
Message 3 of 8
devos
Tutor

Hi,
I do understand that, I have lookt at Readynas drop but the reason why I don't use that is that I can't choose which folder's I want to sync I need to have all of the files in one folder on the client computer, I'll take a look if BT Sync have any client for Mac.

Thanks.
Message 4 of 8
devos
Tutor

btsync works perfect!
Message 5 of 8
adinx
Aspirant

Hi there,
I'm new to ReadyNas and I need some assistance. I just purchased a RN516 and I have OwnCloud 6 app installed. I was wondering if you could help me with a step by step guide on how to access my OwnCloud instance remotely from a computer connected to the internet that is not on my network. I will really appeciate your assistance on this issue. Thank you
Message 6 of 8
shibby
Aspirant

after owncloud instalation it should be available usign link https://nas_ip/owncloud. If it works for you, then just forward port 443 on you router to local NAS ip. If you have static public ip then you can access to the NAS using the same link (just replace <nas_ip> to your public ip. If you have dynamic-changed public ip then you shoud read aboud dyndns and confgure you router (or nas) to use your dynamic domain.

About owncloud:
1) on single-core NAS like 102 or Duo v2 i suggest you install version 4 or 5 of owncloud. Owncloud6 is too heavy for this hardware.
2) owncloud6 in OS6 is free. You can install it very easy using gui or from SSH (apt-get install owncloud). I suggest install phpr6 first.
3) If you will install phpmyadminr6 (with mysql server as depends) first then you will be able to use owncloud on mysql database (not only sqlite). Remember to install php5-mysql package also!
4) after install owncloud package (before first database configuration) you can download latest owncloud 6.0.2 sources and replace it to the /apps/ownlocud/web. You will have latest and stable version installed. Remember to create (or copy) symlink for data directory.
5) If someone have a knowledge about linux (debian) then can install owncloud on older routers. I installed owncloud on Duo v2 (raidiator 5) without problem - for free.

SSH is your friend 🙂
Message 7 of 8
shibby
Aspirant

i updated owncloud to version 7 on OS6. Works 20x faster than owncloud5 and 6!

Tested on RN102 and Pro4.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements