× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Password reset for ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2

Password reset for ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2

I have been trying to recover / reset my admin password (which I have lost, it is not what I thought it was) for a while without success.  I have tried all sorts of things and quite frankly got a bit lost with it all as to what I have tried so need to go back to the beginning with it.

The device has two identical disks in which I don't need the contents of, they can be wiped / cleaned, I just want to be able to set up fresh shares on them.

At the moment I am presented with a username and password box when I browse to the device IP address, ideally I'd like it to be reset to the default just so that I can get in there, wipe the disks and set up the shares.  I have searched around but found articles confusing when they mention features not present on my Duo (such as a display - there is no display, only LEDs) so I don't know if I am looking at the correct articles. 

RAIDar picks up the Duo as having Firmware 4.1.14, probably the latest firmware available for this model.  I really want to avoid bricking this unit as I know it should all be working, I've just forgotten the password (password reset was never configured so that option is not available).

Please help!

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Password reset for ReadyNAS Duo RND2000 v2

Hi jonnymorris98,

Welcome to the Community!

The model of your NAS is actually ReadyNAS Duo v1 based on the firmware that you have mentioned. You may check this KB article for the steps in accessing the boot menu and selecting the factory reset for that NAS model.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jonnymorris98,

Welcome to the Community!

The model of your NAS is actually ReadyNAS Duo v1 based on the firmware that you have mentioned. You may check this KB article for the steps in accessing the boot menu and selecting the factory reset for that NAS model.

Regards,

Message 2 of 8

Hmm.  Do you know what?  This doesn't say much for the search function on these boards, as soon as I posted this I saw in the left hand pane a list of suggested articles, the first one had the solution I needed!  Also, the official Netgear knowledge base article was incorrect or misleading - it said that the default admin password would be 'password' but in my case it was 'netgear1', something which I've never seen anywhere before.

I had been searching for this simple piece of information for a long time!

Model: ReadyNAS RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 3 of 8

Regarding the model number, I simply read what was written underneath the unit, can't blame me if Netgear put misleading model numbers on their product!

Message 4 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jonnymorris98,

That article might be for the ReadyNAS Duo V2. Based on the firmware that you posted, the model of your NAS is the Duo v1.

Regards,

Message 5 of 8

Well, I ask you this - seeing as the ReadyNAS Duo v1 has 'ReadyNAS Duo v2' written underneath, don't you think most people will go to that article, believing it to be the correct article for their device?  I think there needs to be a better way to identify a Duo v1 than the label underneath, as this is clearly misleading. The firmware version might not be viewable in every instance as this relies on the device being picked up by RAIDar.

Message 6 of 8
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jonnymorris98,

I agree that the label underneath the unit can cause confusion for the actual model number of it. This article maybe helpful in determining if the NAS is a Duo v1 or v2.

Regards,

Message 7 of 8

That article is very useful.  Thank you very much for your help.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements