× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Plex Media Server on new ReadyNAS 100 Series

NoMax1
Follower

Plex Media Server on new ReadyNAS 100 Series

Hi,

I've been reviewing the information posed online about the new ReadyNAS 100 series. I noticed that these new boxes have a Marvell® Armada 370 1.2GHz processor installed. I have a few questions:

1) Does the new 100 series include the Plex media server pre-installed?

2) Is the processor sufficient to transcode 720p or 1080p video on the fly? If not, what can I expect to be able to do with the Plex media server on this model ReadyNAS?

Thanks

NM
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Plex Media Server on new ReadyNAS 100 Series

The 100 series does not have plex pre-installed, instead it has ReadyDLNA.

The processor would not be sufficient to transcode HD video.
Message 2 of 10
AGILIT
Aspirant

The document here: http://www.netgear.com/images/ReadyNAS_100_DS_4_page_12Mar1318-73099.pdf implies that PLEX is included.
Message 3 of 10
chirpa
Luminary

Rush to market. They plan to have it, but its not ready yet. #lauchedprematurely #falseadvertising

When Plex is out for the 100 series, it will basically only offer DLNA function, no transcoding. The CPU isn't powerful enough.

Darth Vader wrote:
Plex is not available on ARM-based platform at this time (102/104). We are working with Plex to deliver the ARM version soon. It is going to be a built-in app, so no purchase or download from Genie Marketplace are required.
-- viewtopic.php?p=392433#p392433
Message 4 of 10
Manuel55
Aspirant

Hi

I realy want to buy the NETGEAR ReadyNAS 102 because there's a very good offer in my town.
But there are two important things I want to now about before I will buy it:
1. Is it possible to stream a 1080p .mkv movie from the NAS to my LG TV in the same Network? Don't know if it's the same as chirpa asked before but I don't understand the word "transcoding" :?
2. For me its realy important that I can run PLEX on it. Now I'm running it on my notebook because I haven't got a NAS system. But I realy like the UI of this tool and it would be amazing if this works on the NAS! Is it already possible or not? And if not, are the working on it?

Oh and a third thing: How fast is the transfering speed?? Is it better than other cheap NAS systems?

Thank you very much 😎
Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

2. If you want Plex, get at least the RN312. This will allow you to do a very limited amount of transcoding. If you need to transcode (convert video on the fly from one format into another) HD video then you should consider the 516. Plex is not available for the 102 at this time.
Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Manuel55 wrote:
...Is it possible to stream a 1080p .mkv movie from the NAS to my LG TV in the same Network?
Yes, assuming your LG TV can play a 1080p .mkv movie.

Manuel55 wrote:
...Don't know if it's the same as chirpa asked before but I don't understand the word "transcoding"?...
Transcoding means decompressing the original video, optionally converting it somehow, then recompressing it. For instance, if you needed to convert your 1080p mkv to a 720p format for your tablet, then the NAS would need to decompress the video (to get the 1080p picture sequence), rescale each picture to 720p, and then recompress it.

Or if your mkv has a 40 mbit video rate, but you need to reduce the bit rate because your WiFi can't carry that much. In that case, you also need to decompress the video, then recompress it at a lower rate (and lower quality). You don't need to rescale the pictures, but the hard part is the compressing/decompressing.

The RN100 series doesn't have the horsepower needed for that kind of stuff. But if the video is already in a format that the receiving device can play, then transcoding is not needed.
Message 7 of 10
chirpa
Luminary

Looks late to the game. Drobo's ARM box already has Plex on it; http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/30/plex ... -drobo-5n/
Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

chirpa wrote:
Looks late to the game. Drobo's ARM box already has Plex on it; http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/30/plex ... -drobo-5n/
Though per the link, the Drobo can't do real-time video transcoding either.
Message 9 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Plex Media Server for the RN102, RN104 and RN2120 is now available in ReadyNAS OS 6.0.8: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=71679
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements