× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Power Supply of old ReadyNas NV+ v2 died. Can I simply put drives into a NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN214

questionEvery2
Follower

Power Supply of old ReadyNas NV+ v2 died. Can I simply put drives into a NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN214

My old ReadyNas NV+ v2 died. The power supply popped and was no more.  I'm buying a ReadyNas RN214 to replace it and was wondering about data transfer.  My old system had only two drives in RAID X configuration.  Can I just install these in the new ReadyNas and it will recognize it or do I need to buy new drives and do some sort of data copy?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Power Supply of old ReadyNas NV+ v2 died. Can I simply put drives into a NETGEAR ReadyNAS RN214

The drive format of the older ReadyNAS systems is incompatible with the newer ones, so you can't just move the drives over.  With assistance from Netgear, you can mount the old drives in the new system in a read-only configuration for data recovery to a backup system before you either put new drives in or re-format the old.  Since there is a cost involved with that service, a replacement supply for the old NAS may be the better choice.  Then, you can still purchase the new NAS and leave the old one as your backup, keeping you fom potentially repeating the problem of a dead NAS and no backup.

Since you only have two drives installed, a used Duo V2 is another option, as you could move the drives directly to it.  Be careful, though, as some who have a V1 mistakenly think (and list it for sale) as a V2 because of confusing nomenclature.  The best way to insure it really is Duo V2 you are buying is to verify it has V2 on the front label and the larger fan.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements