× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Power issues RN10400

JiKon
Aspirant

Power issues RN10400

Hi all.

My ReadyNAS device is no longer powering up, well it kinda is and kinda isn't. Please allow me to explain.

The power supply green light indicator lights up so I assume the external power supply is in ok working order but I could be wrong.

When I try to start the unit, all I get is the LCD display flashing on and off on the ReadyNAS device but do not see the fan on the back working at all. So basically, to me it appears that there is power going to the ReadyNAS unit but not enough power to have it stay powered on permanently.

Has anyone experienced any similar issue and if so, could you confirm if the power supply inside the ReadyNAS device has decided to cease to work properly or is the external power supply that supplies power to the unit is faulty?

I'd appreciate any assistance regarding this matter.

If it is the ineternal power supply I may consider buying a newer more recent ReadyNAS unit. The question I  have, if I do upgrade to a newer unit would I be able to transfer the hard drives from the older unit to the newer one without losing any data or is my data going to be lost?

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Power issues RN10400

@JiKon wrote:

do you feel like it might be the external power supply that isn't functioning properly

It might be that the external supply simply isn't producing the right voltage (or sufficient power).  So you could do a risk-buy of a compatible replacement.  

But I think it is more likely are that the issue is due to an internal failure.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@JiKon wrote:

The question I  have, if I do upgrade to a newer unit would I be able to transfer the hard drives from the older unit to the newer one without losing any data?

Yes.  Though you might have to chance a used unit - it's very hard to find new ones, and the ones out there are often overpriced.

Message 2 of 12
JiKon
Aspirant

Thank you for your reply. Does the said ReadyNAS need to be the same type/model?
Also on a side note, has Netgear discontinued their ReadyNAS lines? 

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@JiKon wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Does the said ReadyNAS need to be the same type/model?

It needs to be an OS-6 NAS (RN1xx, RN2xx, RN3xx, RN4xx, RN5xx, RN6xx, RN7xx).  It can be either ARM or X86.

It can also be a Ultra or Pro model, though in those cases you need to convert it to run OS-6 before you migrate.

@JiKon wrote:

Also on a side note, has Netgear discontinued their ReadyNAS lines? 

They haven't said, but it is quite possible.  Inventory has been scarce for a long time.

Message 4 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

You can try another power supply if you like, but it sounds like one of the internal voltage converters/regulators in not functioning properly to convert the 12V to one of the voltages used internally.  Repairs, aside from warranty replacement, are not available.

Message 5 of 12
JiKon
Aspirant

Hi and thank you for your reply.
What I have noticed since, is the green led on the actual external power supply flashes from dim to a hard on light as the front panel of the actual ReadyNAS device flashes on and off. Even though the fan doesnt work at all during these events, do you feel like it might be the external power supply that isn't functioning properly?

Cheers

Message 6 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@JiKon wrote:

do you feel like it might be the external power supply that isn't functioning properly

It might be that the external supply simply isn't producing the right voltage (or sufficient power).  So you could do a risk-buy of a compatible replacement.  

But I think it is more likely are that the issue is due to an internal failure.

Message 7 of 12
Sandshark
Sensei

The flashing LED on the power brick certainly seems like it might be indicating it's going into a current limiting mode.  Now, whether it's limiting the current below what is normally required or doing so because the NAS has a fault and is trying to draw more power than it should is not something easy to determine.

Message 8 of 12
JiKon
Aspirant

Thank you. 
The only choice at this point in time is to risk it and purchase an external power supply and try and isolate the problem.

If it is an internal power supply issue, can this be fixed and if not, what are my data recovery options?

Thanks again.

Message 9 of 12
JiKon
Aspirant

I'm kinda hoping it's the external power supply. I will try and source one and give it a go. If it is the internal power supply, are these readily available and is it an easy process to replace it?

Also, what are my options to recover data?

Thanks for your help.

Message 10 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@JiKon wrote:

Also, what are my options to recover data?

The simplest option is to migrate the disks to another OS 6 NAS (including Pro/Ultra models converted to OS 6).  Install a spare disk (not in the array) first, and make sure the firmware is either matching yours or is newest.

You can also get a multi-disk USB chassis (or several USB adapter or docks), and connect the disks to a Windows PC.  From there you can use ReclaiMe RAID recovery software, or use mdadm+btrfs packages to mount the disks.  These are available on linux, and there are also beta-level versions for windows that have been used by folks here with some success.

@JiKon wrote:

If it is the internal power supply, are these readily available and is it an easy process to replace it?

It's integrated into the system board, so not replaceable.  There are a couple of folks who have somehow managed to repair them.  But Netgear doesn't ofter repair services.

Message 11 of 12
JiKon
Aspirant

An aftermarket powersupply purchased off of AliExpress for around $65 AUD solved the problem. That was a massive relief.

Cheers for the suggestion.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements