× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Power supply replacement Ultra 4

Sugru
Aspirant

Power supply replacement Ultra 4

I've had a Ultra 4 stored unused for the last few years. When connecting it to power today, the power supply died violently( blowing my 16A circuit breaker for the room).

I took the power supply out, it's a "FSP060-40LE" 60W fanless unit.

When I saw the connection bein a standard 20 pin, I connected a 500W ATX power supply I had lying around, and the Ultra 4 booted normally.

Searching for a replacement power supply that would fit inside the cabinet I found some previous threads saying that the atx connector should be wired differently..

Is there different hardware versions for the Ultra4? The model no is RNDU400-100PES, TA 100-15335-01R8

My main question is, can I run it with the ATX power supply, insert some spare disks and use it for temporary data migration as intended, or do i risk the whole unit failing on me now?

Model: ReadyNASRNDU4000|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

If it's just to migrate the data, I recommend you buy an ATX power extender and just clip the -5V and -12V lines.  Or, if the supply is "expendable", just clip the wires directly.  Your unit will probably run fine on a standard ATX supply without the extra +12V long enough for you to extract the data.  Of course, you may have already killed the -5V and -12V on that supply by mating them with +12V in the NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ReadyNAS Ultra 4 PSU is modified FSP120-40LE. The pinout is different from standard ATX PSU where -12V and -5V are used for 12V.

Unless your PSU does not output -12V/-5V, a standard PSU can’t be used.

Message 2 of 6
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Sugru, 

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 3 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

If it's just to migrate the data, I recommend you buy an ATX power extender and just clip the -5V and -12V lines.  Or, if the supply is "expendable", just clip the wires directly.  Your unit will probably run fine on a standard ATX supply without the extra +12V long enough for you to extract the data.  Of course, you may have already killed the -5V and -12V on that supply by mating them with +12V in the NAS.

Message 4 of 6
Sugru
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the advice, I have an atx extender cable on order, so will modify that when it arrives and power up again..

I guess I'll have to see what happened to my power supply, it doesn't have any -5V as pin 18 is unused on newer ATX power supplies, so it's the -12V that may be the issue.

The important bit is that my Ultra 4 mainboard should be ok?, even though I connected the ATX supply before I knew the wiring was modified..

I see the comment above about FSP120-40LE, the original power suplly on my Ultra 4 is an FSP060-40LE, 60W, but the wiring does indeed match the pinout with regards to colours.. 

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

How that affected your motherboard depends on the archetecture of the supply.  -12V typically has very limited current capability, and dead shorting it to +12V likely would crowbar it (shut it down), and thus no damage would result to the motherboard.  If there is no crowbar circuit, then the -12V would probably burn out, again with no significant impact to your system since it has such limited current capacity compared to the +12V.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements