× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Presales Question

SocialAnimal
Aspirant

Presales Question

I run several websites and the hosting service charge a mint to auto backup content so my question, is it possible to automatically backup the contents of a remote web server to a Netgear Ready NAS device in my home?

Would need to be able to backup databases, php, images etc etc

At the moment I manually do this through FTP once a week.

If possible, which Netgear product range should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 3
dbott67
Guide

Re: Presales Question

You certainly could.

I use a number of ReadyNAS 2100 (rack-mount x86-based units) to back up my various servers at work (web, email, MySQL, etc) running both Linux & Windows. Basically, I use some of the server's built-in tools to create DB dumps that are then backed up via rsync to the primary NAS. Not sure what types of access your hosting provider allows (FTP, SFTP, rsync, etc.) but you could make it work quite fairly easily, as the ReadyNAS supports most protocols (FTP, HTTP/s, rsync, CIFS, AFP, NFS, etc.)

So, you could configure a backup job on the ReadyNAS to login via FTP to "pull" the DB dumps, as well as the /images, /content, /whatever directories on a scheduled basis (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.)

As for which model, I would look at the Ultra or Pro series (the new NV+ v2 and Duo v2 have a new UI with fewer protocols to choose from). From there, it would depend on storage capacity (2, 4 or 6 bay), need for AD integration, local performance and additional local needs (streaming, DLNA, and all of the other cool add-ons you can install). The Pro has the most horsepower and also supports some advanced features for business users (Active Directory, SNMP, snapshots, longer warranty, etc.)

Ultra is designed for the home user that wants high performance, but doesn't necessarily need some the the business features listed above.

-Dave
Message 2 of 3
SocialAnimal
Aspirant

Re: Presales Question

Thank you for the indepth answer. That is really helpful.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements