× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Pro Pioneer Booting stuck at 96% after OS6 upload

reburns
Aspirant

Pro Pioneer Booting stuck at 96% after OS6 upload

Hello -

I started with a conversion from Raidiator 4.2.31 to OS6 on an Pro Pioneer and may have misstepped.  BTW, everything is backed up twice and I'm planning on the ensuing data wipe.

I was following this:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/OS6-now-works-on-x86-Legacy-WARNING...

specifically, "OS6 in 3 Steps":
1. Download pre modified IMG, (downloaded R4toR6_6.9.5.bin)
2. Upgrade firmware in Frontview 4.2 (with above file)
3. Reboot & factory default via boot menu

However, the unit is stuck at:

Booting...

96% ########### >

It has been that way for an hour now, and I can leave it overnight if that's best.  I did not select "shut down & turn off", but instead selected "shut down & reboot", so did not use the paper clip into the reset button during reboot.

I see now that there is another thread that I many have been better off following:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/ReadyNAS-Pro-4-HDD-Upgrade/m-p/1935155/h...

What to do now?  Thanks much!   - Ralph

Model: RNDP600E (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition)|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mdgm
Virtuoso

If you didn't install the Prep add-on before installing the firmware upgrade then it won't automatically do the factory reset. Installing OS6 over the top of RAIDiator-x86 4.2.x will leave the system in a state where it can't complete a normal boot.

Power off and do the manual factory reset using the boot menu. That will wipe the disks and do a clean install of OS6.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
mdgm
Virtuoso

If you didn't install the Prep add-on before installing the firmware upgrade then it won't automatically do the factory reset. Installing OS6 over the top of RAIDiator-x86 4.2.x will leave the system in a state where it can't complete a normal boot.

Power off and do the manual factory reset using the boot menu. That will wipe the disks and do a clean install of OS6.

Message 2 of 6
reburns
Aspirant

Aha!  Kisses.  Kudos.  Joy.  The power-off and factory reset root with paper clip did the job and rebuilt the Pro Pioneer 6x4TB (WD40EFRX) array to OS 6.9.5.  It is running a cool 35C with fans quiet at 1750 and 1050 rpm.

My goal is to next expand capacity by building in 14TB Red Pro WD141KFGX drives (I already have two in a RN316).  Worth trying?  So far no data has been recopied back to the Pro Pioneer.

Question:  What is the most stable version of the OS for the 14TB drive?  The update check is offering 6.10.3.

Many thanks!  Ralph

Model: RNDP600E (ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition)|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition|EOL
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@reburns wrote:

Question:  What is the most stable version of the OS for the 14TB drive?  The update check is offering 6.10.3.

6.10.3 is the current "stable release", 6.9.5 is the current "long-term support release".  Both should work fine with 14 TB drives.

Personally I am running 6.10.3 on my Pro-6, but others here are on 6.9.5.

Message 4 of 6
reburns
Aspirant

The first 14TB WD141KFGX built into the Pro6 fine, Power Cycle = 1 and Load Cycle = 2 overnight.  Unless OS 6.10.3 is better for the HDD's I'll stick with 6.9.3 for now.  Thank you forum!

Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

There are bug and security fixes between 6.9.3 and 6.9.6, so you should update at least to that.  I run 6.9.6 because I don't need any of the updates in 6.10.x.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements