× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Pro Pioneer Keeps Hanging

WildPhydeaux
Tutor

Pro Pioneer Keeps Hanging

Based on some research here after I found my RN frozen and no longer able to boot, even to the boot menu, it seemed the power supply was bad. I tested the theory with another supply and it booted ok, so I purchased a new PS (the test one was not able to fit). It now partially booted but I had quite a few problems and seemed as though the firmware update I had tried to apply was corrupt. Fast forward quite a bit of work and I have it now at the latest 10.0.6 and it seems to boot just fine.

I re-added the six disks, I don't care about the data, and did a factory default reset, then let the disks sync. All seemed fine. I then set up an RSYNC job to backup a large directory from my other RN - about 12Tb. It ran all afternoon but sometime during the night the RN hung and was unresponsive even to power button pushes. I restarted it and it came up fine. I restarted the backup job and it hung a few hours later.

I've downloaded the logs zip file but I really have no idea about anything contained within and I don't know how to upload - it seems the zip is not allowed.

The RN is now on and having to resync, so I've left it alone.

Is anyone willing to look at the files and suggest my next course of action?

Cheers,

Robert

Model: RNDP600E|ReadyNAS Pro Pioneeer Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
WildPhydeaux
Tutor

Re: Pro Pioneer Keeps Hanging

Just following up on this thread to close. @StephenB was extremely helpful in diagnosing the issue, which ended up being faulty hard disks. Wonderful that some folks here are not only wildly talented and knowledgable, but also cheerfully willing to help those in need.

Cheers Stephen!

Robert

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You shouldn't post the entire log zip, as there is privacy leakage when you do that. You might want to look in system.log and kernel.log at around the time of the failure.  If you want you can send me a download link to the logs (dropbox, google drive, etc).  Send it in a private message (PM) - using the envelope link in the upper right of the forum page.

How much memory is installed?  Many have found that the stock 1GB of RAM isn't enough for OS-6.  I recommend upgrading that (2x2 GB is very inexpensive).

One test is to run the backup on the source NAS (with a remote destination), and see if that completes.

Message 2 of 4
WildPhydeaux
Tutor

Thank you very much sir, for your assistance. Link to logs has been sent to you by PM.

The disk sync completed overnight and the NAS was still running and accessible this morning.

The memory and CPU were upgraded about 5 years ago. Memory is 4Gb, don't recall the CPU but all has been stable since then.

I have a smaller backup job of about 6Tb running now on the other NAS, pushing to this one, so I'll monitor that and report what happens.

Cheers!

Message 3 of 4
WildPhydeaux
Tutor

Just following up on this thread to close. @StephenB was extremely helpful in diagnosing the issue, which ended up being faulty hard disks. Wonderful that some folks here are not only wildly talented and knowledgable, but also cheerfully willing to help those in need.

Cheers Stephen!

Robert

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements