× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problem replacing RN204 failed drive

liml
Aspirant

Problem replacing RN204 failed drive

This is a four-2TB unit running RAID5. Disk 1 failed so I purchased an identical Toshiba 2TB drive and hotswapped the new drive in place of the old one. When I insert it, the drive light 1 flashes, and the unit makes a clicking noise as though it is trying to recognise/ format the drive. However, many hours later this is still going on. And when I look at the admin page of the unit, it does not show a drive mounted in slot 1 - see picture. Does this mean that the drive is not being recognised? Any thoughts on what to do?

Peterrn204.jpg

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Problem replacing RN204 failed drive

@liml wrote:

This is a four-2TB unit running RAID5. Disk 1 failed so I purchased an identical Toshiba 2TB drive and hotswapped the new drive in place of the old one. When I insert it, the drive light 1 flashes, and the unit makes a clicking noise as though it is trying to recognise/ format the drive. However, many hours later this is still going on. And when I look at the admin page of the unit, it does not show a drive mounted in slot 1 - see picture. Does this mean that the drive is not being recognised? Any thoughts on what to do?

It sounds like the replacement drive failed out-of-the-box. If you have no way to test it, then I suggest just exchanging it.  You don't need to get an identical drive - but you should get one that is intended for NAS use.  Either NAS-purposed (WD Red Plus or Red Pro, Seagate Ironwolf or Ironwolf Pro) or an enterprise class drive.  Avoid the WD Red models - they are SMR, and don't work well in OS-6 ReadyNAS.

It would be good to match the rpm of the disks you have now (though not necessary).

If you can, test it in a PC first to confirm (connecting with either SATA or a USB adapter/dock). 

First see if the disk is recognized in Windows Disk Manager.  If it's not (likely will be the case), then it clearly has failed.

If you do see it there, maybe try this Toshiba utility (not sure it it will recognize your drive or not).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@liml wrote:

It sounds like the replacement drive failed out-of-the-box. If you have no way to test it, then I suggest just exchanging it.  You don't need to get an identical drive - but you should get one that is intended for NAS use.  Either NAS-purposed (WD Red Plus or Red Pro, Seagate Ironwolf or Ironwolf Pro) or an enterprise class drive.  Avoid the WD Red models - they are SMR, and don't work well in OS-6 ReadyNAS.

It would be good to match the rpm of the disks you have now (though not necessary).

If you can, test it in a PC first to confirm (connecting with either SATA or a USB adapter/dock). 

First see if the disk is recognized in Windows Disk Manager.  If it's not (likely will be the case), then it clearly has failed.

If you do see it there, maybe try this Toshiba utility (not sure it it will recognize your drive or not).

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Seatools also works pretty well with other manufacturers' drives.  There are a couple advanced functions you can't do, but the basic diagnostics work fine.

Message 3 of 4
liml
Aspirant

Many thanks for your thoughts. I just put the original, failed drive, back in to make sure that there wasn't an issue with the bay itself. But READYNAS recognises it straight away. So yes, Dead on Arrival I think.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements