× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Problems mounting Netgear ReadyNAS Duo NFS share on Ubuntu

PartTimer
Aspirant

Problems mounting Netgear ReadyNAS Duo NFS share on Ubuntu

I've run into problems recently trying to access my ReadyNAS Duo v2 from a Linux box, running Unbuntu (with Plex and other duties)

Everything has run fine previously for several years - but I'm now getting a mount system call failure on the client.  NFS is enabled for the share from Frontview, with the correct IP address of the client specified.  

I've also tried SMB with no luck either.

Any ideas much appreciated  - I'm tearing my hair out trying to fix it !

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
PartTimer
Aspirant

Re: Problems mounting Netgear ReadyNAS Duo NFS share on Ubuntu

Sandshark & StephenB

Thanks both for your quick responses.  I managed to solve in the end by specifying the NFS version (using "mount -t nfs -o mountvers=3 ...")  seems ubuntu & the NAS can't decide to play nicely without you explicitly telling them which version to use.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@PartTimer wrote:

I've run into problems recently trying to access my ReadyNAS Duo v2 from a Linux box, running Unbuntu (with Plex and other duties)

Duo or Duo v2?

The labels are confusing, and frequently result in people identifying their model incorrectly.

The original Duo (called v1 here)

• says ReadyNAS Duo on the front panel
  • runs 4.1.x firmware
  • often has labels that say v2 on the back or bottom.

The Duo v2

• says ReadyNAS Duo v2 on the front panel
  • runs 5.x firmware.

Message 2 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

How are you mounting them, via fstab?  Have you tried manually? Are you getting any error messages when you do?

Any changes made to the NAS configuration that might have had an unintended consequence? 

Message 3 of 8
PartTimer
Aspirant

The model is a readyNAS duo v2 running Raidiator 5.3.13

I'm mounting through fstab with:

192.168.1.102:/c/Films /films/ nfs defaults 0 0

where 192.168.1.102 is the IP address of the NAS (which I can ping from the linux box), and the /films directory is already created.

nfs-common package is also installed and updated

Not entirely sure what you mean by mounting "manually" - but if I try "sudo mount 192.168.1.102:/c/Films /films/"  I get the same error "mount.nfs: mount system call failed"

Message 4 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@PartTimer wrote:

The model is a readyNAS duo v2 running Raidiator 5.3.13

I'm mounting through fstab with:

192.168.1.102:/c/Films /films/ nfs defaults 0 0

You are saying that SMB also fails - is that also the case from a windows PC?

Have you tried rebooting the ReadyNAS?  Or downloading the log zip file and looking for errors there?

Message 5 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Yeah, that's what I meant by manually.  Try it with the -v (verbose) option and see if you get a more useful error message.  Maybe try ro instead of defaults and see if that makes a difference.

If all else fails, try removing and then restoring NFS access to the share on the NAS or even disabling and re-enabling NFS all together.

Message 6 of 8
PartTimer
Aspirant

Sandshark & StephenB

Thanks both for your quick responses.  I managed to solve in the end by specifying the NFS version (using "mount -t nfs -o mountvers=3 ...")  seems ubuntu & the NAS can't decide to play nicely without you explicitly telling them which version to use.

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Thanks for posting the solution for anyone else having a similar issue.

Since it originally worked and there have been no updates for your ReadyNAS in quite a while, that must be a new feature of Ubuntu.  Maybe the beginning of depreciation of older versions of NFS for security reasons.  Depreciation of "insecure" protocols is likely to continue to be a problem with the older ReadyNAS.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements