× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Q on moving disks from old ReadyNAS (OS6) to new ReadyNAS

rcarr6502
Tutor

Q on moving disks from old ReadyNAS (OS6) to new ReadyNAS

I have a 10-year-old ReadyNAS Pro (RDNDP6000) -- upgraded to OS6, with 6 x 4 TB disks configured in X-RAID2.  Because the fan is occasionally giving me low fan-speed warnings or making strange, unexpected noise, I'm thinking of upgrading to an 8-bay RN628x.  Both old and new NAS would be running OS6.

What do I need to do to safely move my data from old NAS to new NAS?  Is it as simple as moving the disks from the old NAS to the new NAS and powering the new NAS up? Or do I need to boot the new NAS with a scratch disk and perform a factory reset or OS upgrade?  Do I need to restore a config backup from the old NAS to the new NAS?

If I'm going from a 6-bay old NAS to an 8-bay new NAS, is there anything special I need to do?  Can I leave two bays empty to start?

Thanks for any advice.

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay, RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Q on moving disks from old ReadyNAS (OS6) to new ReadyNAS

As an aside, you should make sure you save the mount screws that came with the 628x.  Though you can use the tool-less plastic inserts now, you might need them later (either for SSD drives, or large drives that don't have the side mounting holes).  Perhaps tape them to the NAS chassis somewhere.

@rcarr6502 wrote:

What do I need to do to safely move my data from old NAS to new NAS?  Is it as simple as moving the disks from the old NAS to the new NAS and powering the new NAS up?

Yes. Just move them to the corresponding bays in the new NAS.

You could do a test install with a single scratch disk, if you want to make sure the 628x is working ok.  Update the firmware if desired.  Then perhaps try booting with that disk in every slot.  But that isn't necessary, just something you could do if you want.

I do recommend updating your backup before migrating.  There's always some risks when manipulating disks (for instance dropping them Smiley Frustrated ).

FWIW, if the firmware in the 628x is older than what you are using, then the boot loader will update the 628x flash to match the OS on your disks.  If the firmware in the 628x is newer than what you are using, then the boot loader will update the OS on your disks.

@rcarr6502 wrote:

If I'm going from a 6-bay old NAS to an 8-bay new NAS, is there anything special I need to do?  Can I leave two bays empty to start?

You can leave the bays empty.  Later on you can use them for expansion, or use ReadyTier to improve performance.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

As an aside, you should make sure you save the mount screws that came with the 628x.  Though you can use the tool-less plastic inserts now, you might need them later (either for SSD drives, or large drives that don't have the side mounting holes).  Perhaps tape them to the NAS chassis somewhere.

@rcarr6502 wrote:

What do I need to do to safely move my data from old NAS to new NAS?  Is it as simple as moving the disks from the old NAS to the new NAS and powering the new NAS up?

Yes. Just move them to the corresponding bays in the new NAS.

You could do a test install with a single scratch disk, if you want to make sure the 628x is working ok.  Update the firmware if desired.  Then perhaps try booting with that disk in every slot.  But that isn't necessary, just something you could do if you want.

I do recommend updating your backup before migrating.  There's always some risks when manipulating disks (for instance dropping them Smiley Frustrated ).

FWIW, if the firmware in the 628x is older than what you are using, then the boot loader will update the 628x flash to match the OS on your disks.  If the firmware in the 628x is newer than what you are using, then the boot loader will update the OS on your disks.

@rcarr6502 wrote:

You can leave the bays empty.  Later on you can use them for expansion, or use ReadyTier to improve performance.

Message 2 of 4
Sandshark
Sensei

Leave the drive caddies empty but installed to insure proper air flow.  Don't leave the bays completely empty.

Message 3 of 4
rcarr6502
Tutor

Great!  Thank you, StephenB & Sandshark.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements