× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Question: replacing ReadyNAS Ultra 6 RNDU6000, like-for-almost-like replacement model?

WhySoManyUserna
Aspirant

Question: replacing ReadyNAS Ultra 6 RNDU6000, like-for-almost-like replacement model?

I have a ReadyNAS Ultra 6 RNDU6000, with the following disk set up. I am giving the unit away to somebody heading off to college, mulling over replacement models. Suggestions?

• Three Western Digital WD1002FBYS 1TB disks
    • Three Western Digital WD2003FYYS 2TB disks

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Question: replacing ReadyNAS Ultra 6 RNDU6000, like-for-almost-like replacement model?

The RN400 series is the platform that is most similar to the Ultra, though you should probably look at the RN500 and RN600 also. 

One question is whether you really need 6 bays.  Your current data volume is 6 TB, you could easily go with 4 bay model with larger disks (or even a 2 bay).

If you do want a 6 or 8 bay model, then the options are the RN426, RN428, RN526, RN528, RN626, RN628.  

Note you won't be able to migrate your existing disk drives and preserve your data.  A new NAS will need to reformat them.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Question: replacing ReadyNAS Ultra 6 RNDU6000, like-for-almost-like replacement model?

The RN400 series is the platform that is most similar to the Ultra, though you should probably look at the RN500 and RN600 also. 

One question is whether you really need 6 bays.  Your current data volume is 6 TB, you could easily go with 4 bay model with larger disks (or even a 2 bay).

If you do want a 6 or 8 bay model, then the options are the RN426, RN428, RN526, RN528, RN626, RN628.  

Note you won't be able to migrate your existing disk drives and preserve your data.  A new NAS will need to reformat them.

Message 2 of 5
WhySoManyUserna
Aspirant

Thanks that is helpful.

One of the reason that I went with the 6 bay device originally was to permit enough storage to support RAID5 configuration. Some time between the time I originally purchased the Ultra 6 and now, I've seen RAID5 called horrible, and the currently recommended alternate is RAID1 or RAID10. I'm just a geeky consumer and don't really *know* what the RAID configuration should be. I just want to avoid data loss and avoid having to download recovery data from my offsite back up recovery service. ISP data caps suck. Does Netgear have a specific recommendation regarding RAID configuration? I can calculate my storage needs once I figure out the plan for the RAID. Need to find a storage requirement calculator.

No worries about having to wipe the disks. I have offsite data back up to restore the critical stuff.

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@WhySoManyUserna wrote:

I'm just a geeky consumer and don't really *know* what the RAID configuration should be.

Don't overthink it.  Just use XRAID (which is the default).   

With XRAID, the capacity rule is "sum the disks and subtract the largest".  So your current disks would give you 9-2 -> 7 TB volume.

Personally, I'd start with new disks - fewer larger ones, and leave some slots for expansion.  If you look at cost per TB, NAS-purposed disks between 4 and 10 TB are the most cost effective (retailing around $30/TB).  3x4TB would give you 8 TB, and would add about $360 to your purchase.  I recommend NAS-purposed drives or Enterprise class - not desktop drives.

BTW, newer NAS use the BTRFS file system.  You do want to maintain more free space with BTRFS than the older EXT file system.  Netgear begins warning you to increase capacity when you reach 70% full.  That is conservative, but you shouldn't let it go much above 80%

@WhySoManyUserna wrote:

I've seen RAID5 called horrible ... and the currently recommended alternate is RAID1 or RAID10.

RAID-5 remains perfectly usable, and has less overhead than RAID-1 or RAID-10.  FWIW, XRAID blends RAID-1 and RAID-5.

RAID-1 and RAID-10 are faster, but home users using gigabit ethernet are usually limited by their network speed.

Message 4 of 5
bedlam1
Prodigy

@WhySoManyUserna wrote:

"Need to find a storage requirement calculator." 

Try this LINK

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements