× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Quietest and most reliable HD for Readynas Duo?

training
Aspirant

Quietest and most reliable HD for Readynas Duo?

Hi,

I own a Readynas Duo and currently have a single 500 GB Seagate drive installed which I am looking to replace with two 2TB drives.

I have had a look at the Hardware Compatibility List (http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=82) and have looked up reviews for the various 2TB listed but can't really tell which one really best suits my needs. What I am looking for is a drive which is straightforward to install, reliable and relatively quiet (the current Seagate is actually quite noisy!).

I note that the Caviar Green WD20EARS is a bit tricky to set up due to it incorporating some newer features so I will definitely be avoiding that drive so really it is down to the following drives:

- Hitachi Ultrastar A7K2000 HUA722020ALA330 2 TB 3Gb/s 32 MB Yes 5
- Seagate Barracuda LP ST2000DL003 2 TB 6Gb/s 64 MB No 3
- Hitachi 7K2000 HDS722020ALA330 2 TB 3Gb/s 32 MB No 3
- Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2 TB 3Gb/s 32 MB No 3
- Seagate Barracuda LP ST32000542AS 2 TB 3Gb/s 32 MB No 3
- Seagate Barracuda XT ST32000641AS

Out of the above drives listed, are there any which anyone here would recommend for straightforward to install, reliable and relatively quiet?

Thank you!
Message 1 of 5
PapaBear1
Guide

Re: Quietest and most reliable HD for Readynas Duo?

I don't have any personal experience with any of the above. I completely skipped over the 2TB drives, starting with 1TB in my NVX and now starting to expand with adding 3TB Hitachi drive (will not work in the Duo/NV+). Some people like the Hitachi drives, some like the Samsung and some like the Seagates, and of course some do like the WD drives.

Be advised if you have not looked at prices, the Hitachi Ultrastar line is their enterprise class drives with the extended warranty (5 years) and a price that is at least double that of the consumer grade drives (Deskstar).

I could find four of the drives on Newegg. The Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 drives have all but disappeared from the market, having been replaced by the HDS723020BLA642 (not on the approved list as yet). The Seagate ST32000542AS is also not listed any longer. The Hitachi A7K2000 is listed at $220 with only 6 reviews, the ST32000641AS is listed at $120 and has high customer ratings (75% 4 and 5 eggs with 141 reviews), the Samsung HD204UI has been out a while but just recently added to the HCL. It is listed on Newegg at $80 with 82% four and five eggs and 1095 reviews.

The Seagate ST2000DL003 has mixed reviews. It is listed also at $80 with 66% four and five eggs from 141 reviews. However 31 of those reviews (21%) gave a rating of only one egg. Some reviewers gave it high ratings and loved it, some had significant problems. One reviewer had his first at 5 eggs and his second drive was a 1 with problems. Member on this forum have posted both ways.

Of course some drive problems in the consumer market coming from on line stores are because of the shipping packages of OEM drives.

Looking at the prices and reviews, if I were in the market for a 2TB drive, I would probably go with the Samsung. I do have one of the older HD203WI drives, but not in an NAS. I might have gotten others if it had not disappeared from the retail chain before I got more.
Message 2 of 5
training
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your advice, PapaBear. I will go ahead and buy two units of the Samsung Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2 TB 3Gb/s 32 MB. There seem to only be good reviews for it...!
Message 3 of 5
b00st3d
Aspirant

i cant hear my drives over the fan on my duo!
Message 4 of 5
Rheumatoid
Aspirant

the ST32000542AS is quiet when it isn't 'clunking'. This seems to be a common problem with them although mine has been doing it on and off for some time and it shows no sign of failure.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements