× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR storage on your network

HerbMichael
Aspirant

RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR storage on your network

This whole setup used to work just fine but I recently noticed it had disappeared from the LAN. Raidar gives the ubiquitous error "RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR storage on your network".

Other posts here suggest checking the device's IP in the router usiing the MAC address as reference and contacting the device directly. Trouble is, the device's MAC address isn't shown in the router table.

Is it possible the device is on a different subnet? What subnet are they on when new or after a factory reset?

(Perhaps I could connect it directly to a spare computer and talk to it that way?)

Model: RN212|2 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RAIDar could not find any NETGEAR storage on your network

I have two that don't like "green" switches, but they were damaged by a surge from a nearby lightning strike.  So, you may have a partly damaged NIC, too.  The "green" switches auto-adjust the voltage on the interface and apparently can have trouble when the output and input capabilities of a device are mismatched (which they normally should not be).

You may want to start looking for a replacement in case it continues to go downhill.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

In a new or factory default condition, the NAS uses DHCP for its IP address assignment.  So, unless you set the NAS to use a static IP and then changed the subnet of your LAN (such as can happen if you replace or reset your router), then that's not the problem.  Are you seeing access LED activity on the NAS or router/switch port?  Have you tried the other port on the NAS, another on the router or switch, or another cable?  If there is a switch in the path, can you plug directly into the router?

Message 2 of 7
HerbMichael
Aspirant

Spot on! The ReadyNAS is connected through a (16-way) switch. When I plugged it directly into the router it was recognised and appeared on the network. Plugging it back into the switch (at another outlet) caused it to disappear again,

It seems as if it doesn't like to be connected through the switch. I can live with that but I'm still checking it out. Every other device on my LAN connects through that switch so I don't know what's peculiar about the ReadyNAS.

Anyway thans for the help Sandshark. Truly appreciated.

Message 3 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

I have two that don't like "green" switches, but they were damaged by a surge from a nearby lightning strike.  So, you may have a partly damaged NIC, too.  The "green" switches auto-adjust the voltage on the interface and apparently can have trouble when the output and input capabilities of a device are mismatched (which they normally should not be).

You may want to start looking for a replacement in case it continues to go downhill.

Message 4 of 7
HerbMichael
Aspirant

Interesting. I asume "NIC" means the network interface within the ReadyNAS?

In fact, I might just remove the device from the LAN. I've plenty more storage space and don't need as much as I used to. I mostly wanted to know what I still had stored on it (which isn't much).

Message 5 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, "NIC" is Network Interface Controller.  It's comprised of a protocol controller (sometimes embedded in an SoC or general interface IC) and a tranceiver.

Message 6 of 7
HerbMichael
Aspirant

OK, thanks for all your help!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements