× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RD5200 Not recognizing official netgear drives

Trenton
Aspirant

RD5200 Not recognizing official netgear drives

I have two Netgear RD5200 units and expansion units. I purchased spare Netgear 3TB SATA drives, but when i used them the drives were not recognized. This was while firmware was on 1.4.4 . Support manually remoted into the unit and ran some type of command so that the drives would be recognized. Firmware 1.4.5 was released to fix this issue. 

One of my RD5200 units recognizes drives correctly. The second RD5200 unit still has the issue even with the firmware upgrade to 1.4.5. I have ignored the issue as I was able still able to use the storage, but since i've had to replace a disk, the new disks are not recognized. 

Does anyone have any information or commands I can perform to fix this? 

Model: RD5200 (ReadyDATA 5200)|ReadyDATA 5200 System Empty Chassis with 10G (2 port SFP+ card)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Trenton,

The disks maybe are not signed anymore for some reason. The signature is some data written at specific sectors of the disks. If they have been disrupted, they will appear as unsigned.

We can 're-sign' them remotely but we will need the picture of the label of the disks and the NETGEAR serial labels. We will also need remote access. For the remote access, please install Teamviewer to one of your computers that can access the RD5200 then PM me the ID and password along with the pictures that we needed.

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

Is the unit is not recognizing any new drives, or just Netgear certified ones?  With the latest OS, it shouldn't matter.  You could enable SSH and go into the Solaris layer to see what's going on.  I can't help with the Solaris commands, but Google can be your friend.

I know the 5200 hardware, but not ReadyDataOS or Solaris.  Mine is running ReadyNAS OS6.  

Message 2 of 10
Trenton
Aspirant

Yes, it recognizes other drives. It is only the official Netgear drives, the ones that should be recognized, that are showing as "unsigned" and cannot be used.

I will enable SSH and do that, but I figured there might be some type of root password that I would need. Do you know if it uses the same username and password as the web interface?

Message 3 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

Now THAT is bizarre.  It sounds to me like the signature is "damaged". But why is it even looking for it?  Since you no longer need the signature, mounting the drive in a PC or USB adapter connected to one and zeroing the drive with Seatools will likely solve the problem by wiping the signature.  But that could result in warranty issues if that's still in play.

Message 4 of 10
Trenton
Aspirant

Yes, it is pretty bizarre. I've attached a screenshot as an example. You can see in the main unit almost none of the drives are recognized. Yet, they are all Netgear 3TB SATA drives. The expansion unit has 6TB 512N drives, which are all off the shelf.

I logged into SSH , but it looks beyond my capabiilties to figure out. I thought I might pull all the drives, perform a factory reset, and import the arrays. I wouldn't want to zero the existing drives since the majority of them have data on them. Prior to the firmware update, Netgear remoted in and performed a simple string of commands that allowed the drives to be recognized. I wish they would provide that especially considering it is their epensive Netgear official drives I am having the issues with. 

Message 5 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Trenton,

The disks maybe are not signed anymore for some reason. The signature is some data written at specific sectors of the disks. If they have been disrupted, they will appear as unsigned.

We can 're-sign' them remotely but we will need the picture of the label of the disks and the NETGEAR serial labels. We will also need remote access. For the remote access, please install Teamviewer to one of your computers that can access the RD5200 then PM me the ID and password along with the pictures that we needed.

Regards,

Message 6 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Trenton,

Your RD5200 should be able to detect the NETGEAR signed drives now. Can you check?

Regards,

Message 7 of 10
Trenton
Aspirant

Yes! The drives are detected! My only concern at this point is, last time I had this issue and it was resolved by support ( several years ago), after a reboot the issue returned. Maybe they asked a different fix back then.

Can you verify whether this change is permanent or temporary ( before I reboot the unit)?
Message 8 of 10
JohnCM_S
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Trenton,

Yes, the fix is already permanent so you should not encounter this issue again on that unit.

Regards,

Message 9 of 10
technique
Aspirant

Hi, 

I'vs the same issue, i would like to change disk 4TB by 6TB and my disk is not reconize.

Whereas in my EDA there i've 12*6TB.

It's possible to change The check 512n , 512e in RD5200. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements