× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RDNU2000 - use of USB

Petter-Server
Aspirant

RDNU2000 - use of USB

I have a 10 yr old dual bay ReadyNAS that served me well the years when in operation. No probles at all.

Now I want to resurrect it as a storage device for a server I will be using for hosting my own web site.

I want to connect to a dedicated PC using USB. However, I have fund no documentation of the functionlity of the USB ports.

And when cabling USB directly to the PC, the USB device is not recocnized. I am runnng Win10 on an ASUS miniPC (with 100 GB SSD).

Petter

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: RDNU2000 - use of USB

@Petter-Server wrote:

I have a 10 yr old dual bay ReadyNAS that served me well the years when in operation. No probles at all.

Now I want to resurrect it as a storage device for a server I will be using for hosting my own web site.

I want to connect to a dedicated PC using USB.

That can't be done, it needs to be connected via ethernet.

The NAS USB ports can be used for connecting USB drives and/or a UPS.  But you can't use them to connect to a PC.

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

But you can use a USB to Ethernet adapter on your PC and connect that directly to the NAS.  Since there will be no DHCP active on that connection, you'll need to manually assign static IPs to both.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Sandshark wrote:

But you can use a USB to Ethernet adapter on your PC and connect that directly to the NAS.  

Yes.  Or purchase a second internal NIC if it has a tower chassis.

Though there is no performance advantage, so I recommend simply connecting the NAS to the router (getting a small gigabit switch if that is needed).

Message 4 of 6
Petter-Server
Aspirant

Thank you, guys.

I am now in the explorig phase, and I will see what solution I land on.

I am uncertain if this will work through the network, as the PC will need to install dedicated sw for hosting my website. Simple is usually best!

Petter

Ps: I am now running my travel-world.no on the one.com host.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@Petter-Server wrote:

I am uncertain if this will work through the network, as the PC will need to install dedicated sw for hosting my website.

You can map a share to a PC drive letter - which works for almost all applications.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements