× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: READYNAS 102 All shares gone

kurthill
Tutor

READYNAS 102 All shares gone

My ReadNAS 102 froze, hard, and I power cycled it to get it back online.  After coming back up it went through a 10-12 hour sync and all my shares are gone -- I've lost backups, media, photos, etc.  FOr a while, I could see the shares through Windowes explorer, but the ReadyNAS web interface only shows Home & an iSCSI partition.  I created a new share (temp) to see if it would show up, and it did, but all the other shares were still not there and now I cannot even see them from Windows Explorer.

@Marc_V I saw you had a script that could find this missing shares -- I am hoping you can help me??

A NAS device that looses all data due to a power failure seems less than useful.  I'm at firmware 6.10.3

NOTE:  When I SSH onto the device, the data is still there...

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
mdgm
Virtuoso

First make sure that the 4GB root volume/OS partition is not full.

As this is an ARM unit it uses an EXT4 filesystem for the 4GB Root Volume (note the x86 units use BTRFS for the root volume so the command to check for a full root volume is different).

So you need to check both for full inodes:

# df -i

and for full space:

# df -h

If either of those are full or close to it then you must address that problem first.

Once any full OS partition problem is addressed (if any) then you could look at https://gitlab.codycook.us/readynas-scripts/share_lun_ui_fix.sh

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
kurthill
Tutor

Additional information:

Summary: All shares gone, so I created new share (Temp) to see if that would "reinitialize" the list of shares.  No luck.

On the RN102 (via ssh), all data is present in the /data directory.  For example, /data/Backup is there, and the files are there (yay!).  But there are no shares available to windows, and the RN102 UI is not showing them either.  It shows the Temp and Home shares only.  Examing the /data/._share folder I see subdirectories matching all the directores in /data, so in /data/._share/Temp I see a number of conf files, a .conf for each protocol (afp, nfs, smb, etc), and the samba.conf has data in it describing the samba share.  It looks like these .conf files get concatenated into the file /etc/frontview/samba/Shares.conf, and this file is referenced as an include in /etc/samba/smb.conf.  So somewhere the system goes through a process of compiling all the information in /data/._shares to create the varios protocol files.

For some reason, the /data/._shares/Backup/samba.conf file is empty, so there is no samba share being created for this directory -- although the share was there before a power-cycle broke everything... 

So, I can go through a process of manually moving (e.g. "mv backup Temp") all my broken share directores into my working "Temp" share, then manually delete every /data/._share/ entry for the now moved directory, so there will only be the /data/._share/Temp directory and then I can start recreating and shares and moving files back into the proper share...

Or -- is there some script that will just reattach the broklen shares to the samba config?  I am hoping this is the script that @Marc_V mentioned in another similar post.  I am leery of doing this manually as there mayt be other bits of config floating around that wind up "orphaned" and this could cause the Earth to stop in its orbit and plunge directly into the Sun.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 2 of 3
mdgm
Virtuoso

First make sure that the 4GB root volume/OS partition is not full.

As this is an ARM unit it uses an EXT4 filesystem for the 4GB Root Volume (note the x86 units use BTRFS for the root volume so the command to check for a full root volume is different).

So you need to check both for full inodes:

# df -i

and for full space:

# df -h

If either of those are full or close to it then you must address that problem first.

Once any full OS partition problem is addressed (if any) then you could look at https://gitlab.codycook.us/readynas-scripts/share_lun_ui_fix.sh

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements