× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

READYNAS314 No Disk Detected after DO_EXIT+4aa message

gavthomson
Aspirant

READYNAS314 No Disk Detected after DO_EXIT+4aa message

Hello All,

HELP!  

My Readynas 314 just stopped working and I'd like to try and fix it without losing all my data!

My Readynas has 4 6TB WDReds,

The LCD display suddenly gave an error of do_exit+4aa message and the admin page was unresponsive.

I rebooted and the readynas took me into Safe Mode (on a side not netgear you might want to say on your safe mode page the username and password revert to default)

I'm getting the Readynas does not Detect any Disks message so from the Safe Boot web page the below applies

Situation - No Disks Detected

How to Encounter - Boot the ReadyNAS with no disks

Previous Behavior - 

• Equipment status shows No Disks Detected (in RAIDar or the LCD, if equipped)
  • No Admin Page access
  • No action can be taken until you insert disks and reboot the system

New Behavior - 

• Access the Admin Page and be alerted about the current status of the device (No Disks Detected) and what you can do to resolve it
  • You can insert disks at this time and continue on to create a volume and setup ReadyNAS without restarting the unit.

The problem is, there are already 4 disk in there.

I have removed the disks, give them a clean (as well as the enclosure) and put them back in, in the same order then rebooted.

The LCD shows 'Finding Disks' text for a bit, then boots to safe mode with the No disks detected message.

RAIDar shows the NAS also with no disks.....so it's safe to assume that the encloser is see no disks.

So...

How do I proceed and not destory the data on my disks?

Will going through the setup procedure and creating a new volume reformat my disks?

*EDIT* - I cannot even create a new volume because none of the disks are appearing to even select.

Thanks for your help

Gav 

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: READYNAS314 No Disk Detected after DO_EXIT+4aa message

@gavthomson

Welcome to the Community!

It seems that your ReadyNAS RN314 might have possible hardware issue since the disks are not being detected. Have you tried checking the disks for errors? You can try to if possible by connecting it to a PC and running the vendor utility of the disk. 

Can you remember the last thing you did on the NAS before this happened? It seemed that you already tried booting to Boot Menu and do a Factory reset but failed since no disks are getting detected.

I would suggest contacting NETGEAR Support for RMA if in any case you are still under warranty. RN314 has 5 years warranty provided that you have the original receipt. Also, if you purchased the NAS between June 1, 2014 and May 31, 2016. You have lifetime chat available just login to my.netgear.com to create a case.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 4
gavthomson
Aspirant

Hi @Marc_V ,

Thanks of the quick response and welcome,

I've gotten the device up and running again, adding 1 disk at a time.  When I add the 4th disk in, that's when things get a little weird.

The first time I did it, the NAS started went a bit mad and all but disk 2 became available.

The second time I tried it's went into a resycing process (says it's going to take 25 hours), but all appears fine.

So my question is,

Can a faulty disk do this to a NAS, or is it the NAS?....hence replace the disk or replace the NAS.

On a side note, I don't think I have the actual receipt but I do have the Amazon invoice, would that surfice?

Regards

Gav

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@gavthomson wrote:

Can a faulty disk do this to a NAS, or is it the NAS?....hence replace the disk or replace the NAS.

It could be either.  I suggest connecting the disks to a Windows PC and testing them with WD's lifeguard program (one at a time of course).

On the NAS side, it could be power-related, or possibly a failing SATA interface.

@gavthomson wrote:

On a side note, I don't think I have the actual receipt but I do have the Amazon invoice, would that surfice?

I've uploaded the order info from Amazon - that should be enough to verify the purchase date and the reseller status.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements