× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

REadynas NV+ Stuck in Booting Process

Brco33
Aspirant

REadynas NV+ Stuck in Booting Process

Hey Everybody,

I seem to be experiencing the often discussed issue of my readynas NV+ getting stuck on the booting screen. I did the memory check and passed, drive health appears to be fine. The system has been working without issue (other than replacing drives and fan over the years). My expectation is that this is either a full OS partition or log files too large. I have tried skipping the volume check, didnt make any change.

Based on what I have read before, the troubleshooting steps are out of my technical depth or the issue got resolved by MDGM who looks to be retired now. Looking through netgear support, it looks like I am not covered for support since this device is ~9 years old. I dont know what to do from here.

I have a backup plan for a large amount of data on the NAS, but there is a population that my backup plan excluded beacuse I am a dope which I need to get access to.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction for support from netgear, steps on how to do whatever MDGM was doing, or what I should do to get access to the array so I can pull data off of it.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Model: RND4000 (ReadyNAS NV+ v1)|READYNAS NV+ v1 (DISKLESS)|EOL
Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Re: REadynas NV+ Stuck in Booting Process

First see if you can boot up the NAS into "tech support" mode.  See pages 23-24 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RND2110/Duov1_NV+v1_HW_en_06Dec11.pdf

If this still works:

• You can still engage Netgear support via my.netgear.com.  You'd boot up the NAS in tech support mode, and Netgear can support it remotely.  Cleaning up a full OS partition isn't that difficult for them.  Ask for per-incident support.
  • You can also access the NAS with telnet if you are in tech support mode.  However you would need reasonable linux skills (and now isn't a good time to learn linux).  

If you can't boot into tech support mode, then it gets more complicated.  The USB recovery process carries some risk, so I don't recommend trying that at this point. It's not clear that the flash is corrupted anyway.

If you get a new NAS, Netgear's paid support can help you mount the old disks temporarily so you can offload data.

Message 2 of 5
Brco33
Aspirant

Great, thanks for the quick response. I'll try that tonight when I get home from work. I was able to scroll through the boot options, so I am reasonably sure I can get in tech support mode. Just so I can guage my time, how long do you think it would take soup to nuts with netgear support? Is it a multi-hour job, 15 min, something in beween? 

Message 3 of 5
Brco33
Aspirant

So, I was able to boot in tech support, it showed the debug ID and the IP address. When I tried calling 888netgear, it told me to go online and create a ticket and hung up. Going to create a ticket on support.netgear puts you in the path of buying a service contract. The shortest duration is 1 year.

There is a gear head tech support option. I can do 6 months for that, but I saw a link explaining that they do have a per instance plan, but that didnt look available.

Is there another way to go about it? I looked to be walled in unless I buy a 6mo or 1yr service plan. I dont know enough about gearhead to know if they'd even be able to resolve it.

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Getting paid support is still just too hard.  I wouldn't use gearhead for this.

Try emailing customer.service@netgear.com, and see if they can offer you per-instance support.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements