× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rif.: RN 214 external USB HDD keeps disconnecting

brandxlb
Aspirant

RN 214 external USB HDD keeps disconnecting

Recently the external Seagate Desktop Backup 6TB USB HDD I use for backing up the RN214  (firmware 6.10.3) keeps apparently randomly disconnecting and then reconnecting.  I've changed USB leads and swapped the USB back up HDD with another and same thing is happening when connecting to the RN.    The external drive works ok on other PCs.   Any suggestions welcome

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 6
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN 214 external USB HDD keeps disconnecting

@brandxlb

Welcome to the Community!

I would assume this is happening on all USB ports available on the RN214. Was the external storage formatted on the NAS? There might be an issue with the USB ports if all external storage connected are experiencing the same issue even when you changed the cable.

Contacting Support if your RN214 is still under HW warranty might be best.

HTH

Message 2 of 6
profeta64
Luminary

Rif.: RN 214 external USB HDD keeps disconnecting

@brandxlb

Is maybe going the disk into sleep mode?

I suppose that those external disks will not be 100% of the time up and spinning...

Message 3 of 6
brandxlb
Aspirant

Unfortunately warranty expired back in January....

Formatted as EXT4 on the NAS

When it connects, backups run ok...

Model: RN21241D|ReadyNAS 2120 1U 4- Bay 4x1TB Desktop Drive
Message 4 of 6
brandxlb
Aspirant

OK so looks like I need a replacement RN214.  If I get a replacement, is there a way to simply configure the new unit exactly as the old unit before I plug in the drives from the old unit?  (ie shares, users, backup schedule, apps etc)

Model: RN214|4 BAY Desktop ReadyNAS Storage
Message 5 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

The configuration moves with the drives.  Just be sure to move them with the power off.  What's in flash on the NAS only passes control to the OS on the drives except when initializing a new NAS.

If your replacement NAS is an Intel one (300 series or better), then you should un-install any apps on the 214 and then re-install them once you have migrated the drives.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements