× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN 316 Installing extra Drives 8TB

PeterChung
Follower

RN 316 Installing extra Drives 8TB

I currently have 2 x 8TB Ironwolfs installed in RN 316 as X-Raid (Raid 1), mainly used for storage of movies and photos.

I have just purchased another 2 x 8TB Ironwolfs to install, do we need to turn off the NAS to install the drives or can install on the fly?

What is the best raid option? Raid 5 or raid 10? what are other users doing at the moment?

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN 316 Installing extra Drives 8TB

@PeterChung

Welcome to the Community!

You can add the disk even if your ReadyNAS is running and since you are on X-RAID the expansion will automatically take place using RAID 5 configuration. Add the disks one at a time until it finishes resyncing and then add the next one.

I would go with RAID 5 personally if you need to optimize the volume cap. You will have to set the NAS to Flex RAID if you plan to use RAID10.

HTH

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@PeterChung

Welcome to the Community!

You can add the disk even if your ReadyNAS is running and since you are on X-RAID the expansion will automatically take place using RAID 5 configuration. Add the disks one at a time until it finishes resyncing and then add the next one.

I would go with RAID 5 personally if you need to optimize the volume cap. You will have to set the NAS to Flex RAID if you plan to use RAID10.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

@PeterChung wrote:

What is the best raid option? Raid 5 or raid 10? what are other users doing at the moment?

I use XRAID (RAID-5) on my own NAS.  Though you'll also find some folks using RAID-6 and RAID-10.  Both would give you a 16 TB volume (instead of 24 TB). 

RAID-6 offers protection against two routine disk failures (instead of the normal one).  Write speed will be slower, but I think the bigger concern is that future expansion would require replacing all 4 drives. 

RAID-10 offers faster speeds, and protects against some combinations of two disk failures - but not all.  You can expand by upgrading two disks (but it can be a bit tricky to identify which two).

No matter what RAID mode you use, you need to have a backup plan in place for your NAS - RAID alone isn't enough to protect your data.  It's particular important to have a current backup when you are expanding the volume or replacing the drives.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements