× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN 528 Data Degraded Message

NWWA
Tutor

RN 528 Data Degraded Message

I am receiving a data degraded message on my RN528X. The HDD in question is an older  and smaller 3GB HDD. I have 10 GB of free space so if I remove the 3GB HDD I will still have 7GB of space left.

Question:

If i remove the 3GB drive and leave the slot blank, will the system rebuild without the HDD, or must I replace the drive for the system to rebuild properly?

Thank you for the assistance,

v/r

Mike

Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN 528 Data Degraded Message

@NWWA wrote:

Question:

If i remove the 3GB drive and leave the slot blank, will the system rebuild without the HDD, or must I replace the drive for the system to rebuild properly?

You have to replace it.  The volume will remain degraded if you just remove the drive.

BTW, you must have meant TB, and not GB.

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN 528 Data Degraded Message

There is a very complex process you can use via SSH to remove the drive.  See Reducing-RAID-size-removing-drives-WITHOUT-DATA-LOSS-is-possible .  But given the low cost of a 3Tb (or even bigger) drive, I don't recommend you try unless you have some Linux experience.

BTW, if you choose to replace it, it must be the same size as the removed drive or any other installed drive to get full use of the space.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements