× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN DUO v1 - Power Glitches - SMART Information for Disk 2 - SATA reset

NeBla
Aspirant

RN DUO v1 - Power Glitches - SMART Information for Disk 2 - SATA reset

Hi Commuity Folks,

Got a question looking for some confirmaitn i'm understanding the situation i see correctly.

I have an older model ReadyNAS Duo V1 (been a great device - running for many years without issue).

Its running RAIDiator 4.1.16 and is fitted out with 2x 2TB western digital drives.

In resent months, actually since beginnig of June, i've seen alerts in my Log for a 'SATA rest error.... (plenty of notes on this site about that).

What stood out to me is that when i look at the SMART information for each disk, its disk 2 that is showing as having 'power glitches' and hard drive restes (count matches); and drive 1 and showing the same number of resets and retries (hopefully the attached image shows this).

So, my question for clarity, is this telling that Disk 2 has a fault?

OR that the power supply to Disk 2 is faulty (which i assume means that my ReadyNAS is failing).

Regards

Neil

Model: RND2210v1|READYNAS DUO v1 (2TB: 2 X 1TB)|EOL
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
NeBla
Aspirant

Hi okay thanks for the those points.

By the way the cause of the power glitches was a faulty power pack...

So my ReadyNAS lives on 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@NeBla wrote:

I have an older model ReadyNAS Duo V1 (been a great device - running for many years without issue).

Its running RAIDiator 4.1.16 and is fitted out with 2x 2TB western digital drives.

In recent months, actually since beginnig of June, i've seen alerts in my Log for a 'SATA reset error.... (plenty of notes on this site about that).

So, my question for clarity, is this telling that Disk 2 has a fault?

OR that the power supply to Disk 2 is faulty (which i assume means that my ReadyNAS is failing).

I'm seeing the same number of power glitches on both disks, which suggests that something is happening every now and then with the

There's not enough information to see what's happening here.  I'd test both drives in a Windows PC with WD's lifeguard program (after backing up my data).

Given the age of the NAS, you should also consider just replacing it.  The current entry-level model is the RN212.  You won't be able to directly migrate your disks (and I'd recommend getting new NAS-purposed disks for it anyway).  Both the WD Red drives and the Seagate IronWolf drives are good options.

Message 2 of 5
NeBla
Aspirant

Actually the power glitches only show on disk 2... but the same number of hard disk resets on both drives.

Might try and reseating disk 2... see what difference (if any) that makes before testing with the WD program.

Anyhow, yes i considered for a while now that an upgraded NAS is probably a good thing to look at.

Thanks for the suggestion, will have a closer look at the RN212.

Re migrating, is that cause the disk are not compatible? or the storage format used inst upward compatible?

Message 3 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@NeBla wrote:

Re migrating, is that cause the disk are not compatible? or the storage format used inst upward compatible?

There are a couple of reasons.  One big one is that the Duo uses an old sparc CPU, and the RN200 uses a completely different arm CPU.  So the RN200 would need to completely replace the OS partition on the drives.  And the new OS partition is 4 GB - while the one on your Duo is only 2 GB.  So the sizes don't match.

In addition, the file system on the data volume uses btrfs on the RN200 series.  The Sparc uses ext.

Message 4 of 5
NeBla
Aspirant

Hi okay thanks for the those points.

By the way the cause of the power glitches was a faulty power pack...

So my ReadyNAS lives on 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements