× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN102 - Disk Upgrade

semola1
Tutor

RN102 - Disk Upgrade

Hi all,

I need to upgrade my NAS changing the actually 2x4Tb disks with 2x6Tb or more.

For changing disk can I change one drive at a time and wait for the realignment/rebuild of system?

Thanks

Semola 

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
semola1
Tutor

Of corse. The fan has become noisy as a result of the numerous times that I have cleaned it from dust.

I will look for a fan with equal revolutions and, if possible, greater CFM

Thanks

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@semola1

You are correct you have to replace the drive one at a time and wait for the resync to complete before adding the other one.

You can also do hotswap, you don't need to turn off the NAS when replacing the drive.

Message 2 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@semola1 wrote:

I need to upgrade my NAS changing the actually 2x4Tb disks with 2x6Tb or more.

For changing disk can I change one drive at a time and wait for the realignment/rebuild of system?

You do change one at a time (hot-swapping them) as @Marc_V recommends.  Expansion happens after you replace the second disk.

You should also make a backup first - the process requires reading or writing each sector of each drive.  If there are disk errors, there can be data loss.

I do recommend NAS-purposed drives. But I also suggest going with at least 8 TB.  WD recently disclosed that they are using SMR technology in the newest 2-6 TB Reds, which isn't the best option for NAS.  Seagate doesn't seem to be doing that in their Ironwolf drives, but they have done it in some Barracudas (and it's not that easy to tell for sure).  The larger sizes use CMR, which is better suited for RAID.

Message 3 of 15
semola1
Tutor

Hi Stefan,

I am think to purchase a 10Tb disk (Western Digital WD100EFAX).

I don't have enough space to perform a security backup of the disks. But, if I remove one of them, won't I already have a valid backup?

If i have any problem, I can read the disc directly from Windows or Linux and copy the data to the new discs.

What do you think about it? Is it too risky?

At this moment the 2 disks are perfectly aligned and I have no reports from the NAS

Thanks

Semola

Message 4 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

If you remove one drive of four, it will contain 1/3 of the minimum information required to reconstruct your files. Once the re-sync with another drive starts, the removed one will be out of sync with the remaining ones, so you also can't put it back in to restore the volume's health.  So, no, you won't have a backup because RAID is not really backup.

There are lots of things that can cause a total data loss.  They don't happen often, but they can happen and this forum has lots of posts from users who did lose everyting to an unusual event.  So if there is anything on your NAS that cannot be replaced and is valuable to you, you need backup whether you are upgrading drives or not.  It's especially important during drive replacement because the volume is most at risk while one drive is syncing (one other drive failure, and all is lost) and because of the extra activity it requires of the drives, potentially being the straw that broke the camel's back on another drive close to failure.

I recommend you only replace two drives now unless you have a sudden need for a lot more space or are seeing errors on your existing drives.  There is no reason to put more wear on two more whose space is not currently needed.  Plus, the price will likely drop before you need another and you space out the amount of time the drives have on them, reducing the chance of two drives faling nearly simultaneously (which is one of the mechanisms for losing all your data).

Message 5 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@semola1 wrote:

I don't have enough space to perform a security backup of the disks. But, if I remove one of them, won't I already have a valid backup?

SInce you have an RN102, you are running RAID-1 (even if XRAID is enabled).  So it is true that when you remove a disk, you can set that aside and reboot with it later on if you have problems.  So the risk to your data is a lot less than if you were running RAID-5 (as pointed out by @Sandshark ).  It is still important to have a backup, since there are other ways your data volume can fail.   But upgrading the disk wouldn't be a big risk.

@semola1 wrote:

I am think to purchase a 10Tb disk (Western Digital WD100EFAX).

Note you will need to upgrade both disks to get any space increase.  FWIW, I do have a two WD100EFAX in my RN526x, and they are working out well.

Message 6 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

My appologies.  I guess I read that as 4 x 2TB, not 2 x 4TB and answered accordingly without ever noting my error.  Should have been obvious with a 2-bay NAS.

Message 7 of 15
semola1
Tutor

No problem.

I take this opportunity to ask for advice on the disc (obviously a couple) to buy: Western Digital WD101EFAX or Seagate ST10000VN0008? I didn't found a site that compares them. Looking at the datasheets they look the same, apart from the rotation speed: the WD is a 5400 RPM, the other is 7200. Which do you recommend?

thanks

Semola

Message 8 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

I have seen nothing reporting that the 10TB WD Reds are SMR, though smaller ones are (without WD disclosing that until pressured to do so by unrefutable evidence they are).  But, they changed the part number, so who knows.

AFAIK, the Seagate is not SMR.

While WD claims the SMR reds are fine for NAS use and I know of nobdy who has issues with them on a ReadyNAS (including myself -- I replaced one red and got one of these before it was known they were SMR), but users of some other NAS (notably UnRAID) have had issues.

I'd go the the Seagate or move up to the red pro.

Message 9 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@semola1 wrote:

No problem.

I take this opportunity to ask for advice on the disc (obviously a couple) to buy: Western Digital WD101EFAX or Seagate ST10000VN0008? I didn't found a site that compares them. Looking at the datasheets they look the same, apart from the rotation speed: the WD is a 5400 RPM, the other is 7200. Which do you recommend?

thanks

Semola

Both are good choices.  Generally speaking the WD Reds use less power and run cooler than the corresponding IronWolf drives.  So I'd personally pick the Red drive.

Message 10 of 15
semola1
Tutor

Hi,

I have succesfully changed my NAS disks with 2 new WD101EFAX discs.

I noticed a considerable increase in the temperature of the disks and the CPU. I have changed the fan setting to increase the air flow, but it has become very noisy (I will also have to change the fan).

On this I have two things to ask you: what is the maximum acceptable temperature for the disks and the CPU?
Does anyone have the characteristics of the fan mounted as standard? I'd like to look for an equivalent.
Thanks

Semola

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 11 of 15
StephenB
Guru

@semola1 wrote:

Hi,

I have succesfully changed my NAS disks with 2 new WD101EFAX discs.

I noticed a considerable increase in the temperature of the disks and the CPU. I have changed the fan setting to increase the air flow, but it has become very noisy (I will also have to change the fan).

On this I have two things to ask you: what is the maximum acceptable temperature for the disks and the CPU?
Does anyone have the characteristics of the fan mounted as standard? I'd like to look for an equivalent.
Thanks

Semola

WD specs the operating range of the WD101EFAX as 0-65C here: https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/western-digital/pro...

The datasheet of the Armada 370 CPU is surprisingly hard to find, but there is a copy here: http://dtsheet.com/doc/1285717/armada-370-hardware-specifications. The operating range of the CPU (Tj) is 0 to 105C.

FWIW, current thinking on disk reliability is that relative humidity is a more important factor than temperature.  Though I wouldn't want my disks to run anywhere close to 65C myself.  One disadvantage of the newer WD101EFAX is that it uses more power than the WD100EFAX (and therefore will run hotter than the older model).

The WD disks (including two WD100EFAX) in my main NAS run between 31-36C.  Though there are several posts here from folks who's disks are running in the mid 50s.  Most are using Seagate drives (which in my experience often do run hotter).  But WD101EFAX operating power (8.4 watts) could bring the temps up into that range.

As far as the fan goes, I think the best path is to find the fan model google for it's specs.  I'm not seeing any posts here from anyone who replaced it.

Message 12 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

If you replace the fan, be sure you get one with similar RPM and CFM ratings.  Of course, that typically means that it's going to be about as noisy as the original unless there is something actually wrong with yours.

Message 13 of 15
semola1
Tutor

Of corse. The fan has become noisy as a result of the numerous times that I have cleaned it from dust.

I will look for a fan with equal revolutions and, if possible, greater CFM

Thanks

Message 14 of 15
Sandshark
Sensei

If you clean the fan with compressed air, you should use something to keep it from spinning.  Otherwise, the bearings can be damaged.  I don't think the stock fan has ball bearings, so you might also look for that, if you can find them in an otherwise compatible fan.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements