× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 Firmware 6.10.7 problem

Goldie1980
Aspirant

RN102 Firmware 6.10.7 problem

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a second hand RN102 Readynas which was bricked when i bought it but it was £25 with 2 x 1TB disks so too good to turn down.  I realise this is an old NAS and reached end of life some time ago but i only needed a basic home NAS.

I managed to resurrect it and it has been working fine and migrated all my data on to the NAS.  Then i turned it off by double pressing the power button as i needed to move it to a new location but when i turned it back on the Power button light and the backup up button light blink together very fast and it never boots up.  The only thing i can do is turn off at the wall and then using the boot USB drive inserted press and hold the backup button again, switch on at mains and then it reinstall the OS again and boots back up no problem and i can still access all my data.

I have to repeat this process every time i power down and restart which means i cannot have the NAS on a power plan to sleep during certain periods to save electric.  If i leave the NAS on all the time it is fine.

I am assuming some degree of hardware issue/failure but i am a simpleton when it comes to this and i can do the basics.  Does anyone have any idea what i am doing wrong or who may be able to help me figure this out?

Thank you all in advance

Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN102 Firmware 6.10.7 problem

@Goldie1980 wrote:

The only thing i can do is turn off at the wall and then using the boot USB drive inserted press and hold the backup button again, switch on at mains and then it reinstall the OS again and boots back up no problem and i can still access all my data.

This is repeating the USB recovery process.  You are saying that turning on the switch at mains doesn't boot unless you also repeat the USB recovery?

Also does restarting the NAS from the admin web ui (NOT powering off) work?  Or not?

Message 2 of 7
Goldie1980
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply StephenB

That is correct.  Any power down either through the graceful shutdown or the power off at mains i have to redo the USB recovery process.  If i leave the NAS powered on it is fine.

I tried the close down using the admin UI and then tried to start up from there too and the same result and it is very odd.  I assume there is a small amount of internal memory the OS is saved to which is uses to boot from and this isn't working as intended (this probably shows my lack of actual knowledge).

Thank you for your help.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Goldie1980 wrote:

I tried the close down using the admin UI and then tried to start up from there too and the same result and it is very odd. 

Just to make sure we are both talking about the same thing...

I am wondering if the restart control behaves the same way.  That doesn't turn off power, it just reboots the NAS.

restart.png

Also, did this problem begin right after you installed 6.10.7?  If so, do you remember what you were using before?

@Goldie1980 wrote:

I assume there is a small amount of internal memory the OS is saved to which is uses to boot from and this isn't working as intended (this probably shows my lack of actual knowledge).

There is internal flash.  The USB recovery process that you are using on power-up rewrites that flash.  So it is possible that the flash is failing.  Unfortunately, that is not repairable.

But this is just a theory at this point.  @Sandshark or someone else here might have some other thoughts on what is happening.

Message 4 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

The USB recovery is supposed to end with the unit shutting down.  Since it's not, I'm wondering if there is anything else that's not being accomplished that's the issue.

Message 5 of 7
Goldie1980
Aspirant

Thank you Sandshark and StephenB,

I think it is my poor explaining.  Once i have flashed the operating system it does shut down and when i restart the first time it will detect both hard drives and boot normally.  It is subsequent shut downs of the NAS where the problem starts and i have to then repeat the process.

Providing i do not shut down the NAS at all then it will work with no issues so i am flummoxed.

StephenB - i tried the restart option as you suggested and it does the same thing.  The only lights are the power and backup buttons quick flashing constantly and the Act light on but solid with no blinking.

I can't seem to get in to the option section by pressing and holding the reset button on the back and the backup button either.  Could the option for a full factory restore on the admin UI system tab work?

I have all the data backed up somewhere else anyway. 

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@Goldie1980 wrote:

I can't seem to get in to the option section by pressing and holding the reset button on the back and the backup button either. 

Unfortunately, that's also a clue that the flash memory is corrupted.  

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements