× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 Invisible on network after move

emopausal
Aspirant

RN102 Invisible on network after move

Heya,

Got this RN102 that's been a tank for years and has already suffered through several moves.

This move, when rebuilding my lan, I am unable to get the RN102 registered on the network.  The nas powers up just fine and all the lights are in the configuration for normal ops:  all front panel lights are blue/solid and the network light on the back is blinking (yellow) regularly as is the hub-connection indicator.

However, the device never appears on the network.  I can neither ping nor ssh into the nas.  I've switched out networking cables, and also have moved the device to several different hubs but the device remains autistic.  I fear this last move may have finally killed off his venerable device.  (All my other nas devices are working on the same hubs I've tried to (re)connect the RN102 on...)

So, worst case scenario afaik is that the nic went south.  My drives are config'd as RAID1 (mirror) so I'm not really worried about content retention except:

• if I pull these drives to install in a new nas, is there anything netgear-proprietary that would prevent them from being successfully accessed and read on, say, a WD NAS?  Do I have to stay with a netgear nas b/c of some proprietary weirdness?
  • Can I attach the nas directly to a laptop to see if the device remains autistic?  If so, how?

That's about all I can think of... I think this nas has died and gone to nas heaven.  My concern now is recovering the data from one, or both, drives.

Thanks!

--mike

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN102 Invisible on network after move

@emopausal wrote:

Machine A (10.245.95.166) can "see" the nas (10.245.95.110) but cannot access it.  As previously stated, all ports (read: protocols) on the nas are closed/inaccessible.  There's no firewalls involved; just something fecked on the device. 

But your RAIDar screenshot says the NAS IP address is 192.168.1.10 which is not compatible with 10.245.95.x.  Where are you seeing the 10.245.95.110 address?

That suggests that your old network was 192.168.1.x, and that you'd assigned the NAS a static address.  The most direct way to fix it is to change the router to use the 192.168.1.x address space temporarily, which would then allow you to access the NAS.

You can also try doing an OS reinstall on the NAS - which will reset the NAS to use DHCP and also reset the admin password back to password.  It also turns off volume quota (which is on the settings wheel on the volume tab).

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
emopausal
Aspirant

Just a quick follow-up:

I connected the nas to my ubuntu 18 latop, setting the laptop IP to 192.168.1.10.  I'd read elsewhere here about static IPs which got me wondering if this nas was statically configured (The answer is: No...pretty sure...no... o/w the IP would be on the first subnet I created: 192.168.0.X.)

Anyway, nmap can see the readyNas (192.168.1.110) but I can't load that IP up in a browser (timeout).  Port scan shows all 1000 ports are filtered.  Attempting to ssh fails.  Even ping fails - which is weird because, it's just ping, right?

Leaning more and more towards some hardware failure in the nas...

Thoughts?

Message 2 of 11
emopausal
Aspirant

btw - the ping fails with a "port unreachable"... 

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Message 4 of 11
emopausal
Aspirant

Just like nmap, it shows the NAS drive (and this Raidar) says both drives are there and healthy, as you can see in the attached screenie, but when I attempt to hit the admin page, it tells me that "Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer.  Check your network settings."  

Message 5 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

@emopausal wrote:

Just like nmap, it shows the NAS drive (and this Raidar) says both drives are there and healthy, as you can see in the attached screenie, but when I attempt to hit the admin page, it tells me that "Your NETGEAR storage is not accessible from this computer.  Check your network settings."  

That's usually caused by the PC and NAS not being on the same subnet (usually due to an outdated static IP on one) or a firewall (including the PC not seeing that subnet as private).

Message 6 of 11
emopausal
Aspirant

I've hooked the nas directly to a pc with the only network the wired connection between the two and got the same results.

I've moved the machine to hang directly off the  router with another machine.  Same results.

Regardless of where the nas is on the network, and all my machines are on the same subnet, I get the same results.

So, really, I think the important question is becoming:

If I pull these drives and install them in another appliance, will my data still be accessible or is there proprietary formatting done to the drives?  (Will have to buy another Netgear shell in order to access the data?) (Restating that the drives are configured to be mirrored, not striped.)

Thanks!

--mike

Message 7 of 11
emopausal
Aspirant

And I want to make it clear, that when I say pc (or PC), I'm talking about linux boxes.  

Machine A (10.245.95.166) can "see" the nas (10.245.95.110) but cannot access it.  As previously stated, all ports (read: protocols) on the nas are closed/inaccessible.  There's no firewalls involved; just something fecked on the device. 

There's no private subnet.  There's just one single LAN hanging off this router, all on cable.  I can't make the configuration any simpler yet the Netgear NAS is still autistic.  It can't even respond to a simple ping much less an http request.

This just after a Netgear recommended security update bricked my Nighthawk (had to RMA that one) so I'm not exactly a fan atm.

Thanks!

--mike

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@emopausal wrote:

But your RAIDar screenshot says the NAS IP address is 192.168.1.10 which is not compatible with 10.245.95.x.  Where are you seeing the 10.245.95.110 address?

That suggests that your old network was 192.168.1.x, and that you'd assigned the NAS a static address.  The most direct way to fix it is to change the router to use the 192.168.1.x address space temporarily, which would then allow you to access the NAS.

You can also try doing an OS reinstall on the NAS - which will reset the NAS to use DHCP and also reset the admin password back to password.  It also turns off volume quota (which is on the settings wheel on the volume tab).

Message 9 of 11
emopausal
Aspirant

I finally got the router re-configured for a 192.168.1 subnet. 

Once that was done, I was able to see the NAS so you were spot-on - thank you!  I was then able to get into the webUI of the NAS and disable the static IP configuration, setting it back to DHCP.

Marked your last answer as accepted/solution - lesson learned for me is that if you're hitting the enter key harder as the sole logic behind trying to make it work this time, it's time to go to bed.  😜

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@emopausal wrote:

I finally got the router re-configured for a 192.168.1 subnet. 

Once that was done, I was able to see the NAS so you were spot-on - thank you!  I was then able to get into the webUI of the NAS and disable the static IP configuration, setting it back to DHCP.

Great!

One way to avoid this in the future is to reserve an IP address for the NAS in the router (leaving the NAS using DHCP).   Netgear routers call this feature "address reservation"; it is sometimes called "Mac Address Reservation" or "ARP binding".  Then if you change subnets or routers, the NAS will remain accessible.  Reserving addresses also gives you one management point, so you are less likely to accidentally assign duplicate static addresses.

@emopausal wrote:

lesson learned for me is that if you're hitting the enter key harder as the sole logic behind trying to make it work this time, it's time to go to bed.  

A lesson I sometimes forget myself Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements