× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102: System volume root's usage is 85%

Steentje
Follower

RN102: System volume root's usage is 85%

Hi,

Today, my ReadyNAS 102 alerted me with this message: "System volume root's usage is 85%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support." At the same time I noticed that the antivirus definitions have not been updating since 05-Mar-2019, and that the alerts are no longer being sent by e-mail to me.

Can anyone explain me the cause(s) and possible solutions to this problem?

Thanks!

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
asimb
Star

Betreff: RN102: System volume root's usage is 85%

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. For the solution, which worked on my NAS, please refer to: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-84-Th...

View solution in original post

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 3 of 12

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN102: System volume root's usage is 85%

Hi @Steentje

Welcome to the Community!

OS partition getting full is usually caused by Apps installed on the said partition. Do you have any apps that you have installed using SSH?

You can actually take a look on the said volume partition through SSH if you are comfortable using it. Otherwise, the best advise would be to contact Support and have a ReadyNAS expert check on your NAS through SSH and free up the OS Partition. Note that if you are out of contract you will have to purchase one, Pay-per-Incident contract should be okay.

Another option is to have a full backup of your data and perform a Factory reset on your NAS to have a fresh install then just put back the data afterwards.

the Antivirus not updating might also be because of the issue you currently have with your OS Partition.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 12
asimb
Star

Betreff: RN102: System volume root's usage is 85%

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem. For the solution, which worked on my NAS, please refer to: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-84-Th...

Message 3 of 12
shedemand
Guide

Same here. Firmwarevers. 6.9.5
I have two 102's, one in cityflat and one in summerhouse (for backup and safety), mirror-sync'ing with Resilo, that I have configured correct!
Has worked beautifully for 4 years.
First warning was yesterday, 81%, second today 85% and only on one of them, which turned out to be te only one where I have enabled antivirus!
Besides that they are exactly the same.
I have read in one reply that I can delete the comodo temp-files, an in another that I can revert to factory settings.
Question 1: I have an MCSE+I (fairly old), but very limited unix-experience. Can someone point me to a manual or description of how to enter and work on the Netgear OS ?
Question 2: If I choose the factory reset (old Microsoft-habit ;-), can I then keep my nearly full 3TB disc, replace it with a clean HD, do the operation and then switch back to my data-disk, to avoid making a full Resilo resync of the disc.
And finally: Does anybody know when Netgear will fix this problem?
Best regards
Søren H.
Denmark

Message 4 of 12
asimb
Star

Hi Søren,

you can find a brief instruction how to do here  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-xx-Th...   message 3, 7 and 10 (especially jpg-attachment).

Greetings from Austria, Andreas

Message 5 of 12
jamesnewton1
Aspirant

Hi So, i also had an issue with my readynas no updating the Antivirus. 

Long story very short it was a load of Junk files from Plex, i had a 82% Root Usage.

Im a Linux nube so I will keep this easy for the other Nubes. if you want to use Windows then install a program called putty.

You will need to have SSH switched on from your Option list on the ready nas

in Putty then use the server ip for example

then use the ready nas server password

this opens up a terminal.

As you are logged in as the root
cd  /

to show contents
ls -1

If you have the same issue with Crap from Plex then you can see a load of junkchunk-stream0-00149.m4s

display files size in human form
du -h

mass delete of files
for example
chunk-stream0-00149.m4s
chunk-stream0-00150.m4s
chunk-stream0-00151.m4s

rm -rf chunk-stream0*

Caution think before you delete.

Then dis engaged the antivirus, restarted the system then re engaged the Antivirus and all was good. No more root usage warnings

@Steentje wrote:

Hi,

Today, my ReadyNAS 102 alerted me with this message: "System volume root's usage is 85%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support." At the same time I noticed that the antivirus definitions have not been updating since 05-Mar-2019, and that the alerts are no longer being sent by e-mail to me.

Can anyone explain me the cause(s) and possible solutions to this problem?

Thanks!

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 6 of 12
jamesnewton1
Aspirant

Long story very short it was a load of Junk files from Plex, i had a 82% Root Usage.

Im a Linux nube so I will keep this easy for the other Nubes. if you want to use Windows then install a program called putty.

You will need to have SSH switched on from your Option list on the ready nas

in Putty then use the server ip for example

then use the ready nas server password

this opens up a terminal.

As you are logged in as the root
cd  /

to show contents
ls -1

If you have the same issue with Crap from Plex then you can see a load of junkchunk-stream0-00149.m4s

display files size in human form
du -h

mass delete of files
for example
chunk-stream0-00149.m4s
chunk-stream0-00150.m4s
chunk-stream0-00151.m4s

rm -rf chunk-stream0*

Caution think before you delete.

Then dis engaged the antivirus, restarted the system then re engaged the Antivirus and all was good. No more root usage warnings

Model: RN31200|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2-Bay
Message 7 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@jamesnewton1 wrote:

While this issue can happen with plex, it won't cause the root usage problem on RN100 systems.  Those junk files are used when plex is transcoding - and that feature isn't available on the RN100 ReadyNAS.

FWIW, the recent wave of AV causing excessive root usage seems to be limited to the RN102 and RN104 (though possibly the RN2120 is similarly affected).  At least I haven't seen posts here from people using other ReadyNAS.

Personally I am thinking that all RN100 owners should immediately disable AntiVirus on their systems, at least for now.

Message 8 of 12
CHU1970
Aspirant

Hi, I have this problem as well, and pretty new to all this and without a clue how to fix it. Netgear want at least £60 to access their support. I'm wondering why I have to pay for what so far seems to be an error caused by their antivirus updates.

Would anyone be able to give me an idiots step by step guide to fix this issue?

Message 9 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@CHU1970 wrote:

Would anyone be able to give me an idiots step by step guide to fix this issue?

Already posted: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/System-volume-root-s-usage-is-90-RN...

Message 10 of 12
CHU1970
Aspirant

Amazing!! thank you. All sorted. I hate messing with that sort of thing. 

Message 11 of 12
shedemand
Guide

Thanks everybody, especially Guru Stephen B. who gave me the most direct and clear prescription to solve this annoying issue.
With sweatty hands and shaking soul I removed the clammy temp-files, and all is now well, and antivirus disabled.

One of my questions remain though:
Why on earth has Netgear not already recognized and handled this problem whitch is not all that new or the fault of the customers, -  and their only solution when approached directly is to offer an expensive supporter-involvement!
But thanks a lot to the active and engaged community!!
When my two 102's lifespan is over I will think twice before buying another Netgear NAS.
Regards
Søren H.
Retired CIO - that would never have accepted this lack of service in my time!
Denmark

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements