× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN102 failed. Migration of original RAID1 disks to "new" unit.

btwixt
Guide

RN102 failed. Migration of original RAID1 disks to "new" unit.

Scenario:

Old RN102 failed during OS update and became bricked.

I've mounted each disk on Linux and they seem fine.

I have a configuration backup from the failed unit prior to failure.

I've found two used RN102 units which seem fully functional.

I'd like to migrate the old disks to one of these "new" units.

Is this possible without reformatting and starting from scratch?

In other words, will the config file from the failed unit be at all

useful for a migration attempt?

Can OS be updated on the "new" units without installing disks?

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

If you are able to access the files using Linux, then I suggest backing up the data volume is the right next step.

The OS and all settings are stored on the disks, so the config backup won't be very useful in your situation.

The flash memory of the NAS also contains an install image of the most recently installed firmware on that NAS.

When you migrate disks, the system checks to see if the install image differs from the OS already on the disks.  If it is different, then the newest OS wins. If the flash is newer, then the OS on the disks is upgraded, if the OS is newer, then the flash image is updated.

If you get one of the used NAS, then I suggest that you first install a spare disk in the used NAS - making sure it is fully operational, and boots with the disk in either slot. I would then upgrade the firmware to 6.10.7 (rebooting when prompted). After that, power down,  migrate the disks and try powering up again.

Note you don't need to get a new RN102.   You can migrate to any OS-6 NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you are able to access the files using Linux, then I suggest backing up the data volume is the right next step.

The OS and all settings are stored on the disks, so the config backup won't be very useful in your situation.

The flash memory of the NAS also contains an install image of the most recently installed firmware on that NAS.

When you migrate disks, the system checks to see if the install image differs from the OS already on the disks.  If it is different, then the newest OS wins. If the flash is newer, then the OS on the disks is upgraded, if the OS is newer, then the flash image is updated.

If you get one of the used NAS, then I suggest that you first install a spare disk in the used NAS - making sure it is fully operational, and boots with the disk in either slot. I would then upgrade the firmware to 6.10.7 (rebooting when prompted). After that, power down,  migrate the disks and try powering up again.

Note you don't need to get a new RN102.   You can migrate to any OS-6 NAS.

Message 2 of 5
btwixt
Guide

Re: You can migrate to any OS-6 NAS.
Cool! Then it's just a matter of availability & price.
So far it looks like RN102 is winning the search.
THANK YOU!

p.s. Yeah, I am starting on my third backup of the old disks just in case. Maybe I should put one disk in Eastern hemisphere and the other somewhere in Western Oklahoma. 8-)
Message 3 of 5
btwixt
Guide

The migration was probably one of the easiest things I have ever done with ReadyNAS.

Every bit of my data, snapshots included, are completely intact.

Thank you, OS 6 team & the folks that made the hardware!!!

So I got two brand-new-used RN102s, cleaned them up, replaced batteries & fans, update

to OS 6.10.7, installed disks from my failed RN102 and watched the magic happen.

Looking forward to another 8 years of service from these units!

p.s. It is a shame that NetGear doesn't make these boxes any more.

The fit and finish of all the parts & screws, the design of the drive caddies, and the quality

of the electrical components including the fans, are all excellent.

p.p.s.  I'd pay money to know just exactly went wrong with my original RN 102 during that

fateful transition from 6.10.6 to 6.10.7.  I doubt the Marvell chip's at fault.  That means,

with a bit of skill & the right equipment it should be fixable.

Message 4 of 5
btwixt
Guide

I guess that closes this topic, huh?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements