× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN102 sending duplicate alert emails to the same address

jeremy-m
Aspirant

RN102 sending duplicate alert emails to the same address

I have a RN102, and since updating to 6.10.x, I've received three emails, that are exactly the same, to the same email address, every time an alert is triggered.

How can I stop these excess emails being sent?

Message 1 of 17
jeremy-m
Aspirant

Re: RN102 sending duplicate alert emails to the same address

Could someone please tell me in which linux directory the alert settings are stored.

I'm hoping I might be able to find the source of the problem there, and fix it.

Message 2 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@jeremy-m wrote:

Could someone please tell me in which linux directory the alert settings are stored.

The alert email addresses are stored in /etc/frontview/alert.conf

Message 3 of 17
jeremy-m
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@jeremy-m wrote:

The alert email addresses are stored in /etc/frontview/alert.conf

Thanks for the information.

Does the following look like a correct configuration for /etc/frontview/alerts.conf?

email!!from_address <user> <user> <user> <user> <user> <user> <user> alert_contact,,

where from_address, <user> & alert_contact are all email addresses.

Message 4 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@jeremy-m wrote:

Does the following look like a correct configuration for /etc/frontview/alerts.conf?

email!!from_address <user> <user> <user> <user> <user> <user> <user> alert_contact,,

I have two email alert addresses set up.  alert.conf has 

email!!from_address alert_contact,,

from_address is the account used to send the alert (which of course also receives it) - xxx@yahoo.com in my setup, alert_contact is the email address I want to receive it on - yyy@gmail.com in my case.

If you see duplicates in the list, that likely is the problem.

Message 5 of 17
jeremy-m
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@jeremy-m wrote:

If you see duplicates in the list, that likely is the problem.

Agreed.

How do I get the required privileges, to remove the duplicate <user> entries in /etc/frontview/alerts.conf, via SSH?

Message 6 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@jeremy-m wrote:

How do I get the required privileges, to remove the duplicate <user> entries in /etc/frontview/alerts.conf, via SSH?

Enable ssh in system->settings->services and check the box next to "password authentication". 

Then log into the NAS as root ( e.g., ssh root@nas-ip-address), using the NAS admin password.

Message 7 of 17
jeremy-m
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Then log into the NAS as root ( e.g., ssh root@nas-ip-address), using the NAS admin password.

I logged in as root, copied the file to alert.old, and removed the duplicate entires from alert.conf. I'm still getting three emails for each alert, even after rebooting.

Can you think of anything else I could do, to resolve this issue?

Message 8 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@jeremy-m wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

I logged in as root, copied the file to alert.old, and removed the duplicate entires from alert.conf. I'm still getting three emails for each alert, even after rebooting.

Can you look at alert.conf again, and see if the NAS has re-written it?

Message 9 of 17
jeremy-m
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

@jeremy-m wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

I did, and it hasn't re-written it.

Message 10 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@jeremy-m wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@jeremy-m wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

I did, and it hasn't re-written it.

You can try grepping for duplicate email address. I am also seeing the alert email addresses in /etc/aliases and /etc/msmtprc

Message 11 of 17
jeremy-m
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

You can try grepping for duplicate email address. I am also seeing the alert email addresses in /etc/aliases and /etc/msmtprc

The data in /etc/aliases is exactly the same as in /etc/frontview/alert.conf (duplicate <user> entries). I removed the duplicate entries from /etc/aliases, and the NAS still sends three emails.

/etc/msmtprc doesn't contain the recipient address, and looks fine to me. It only contains the configuration of the sending account.

I will try grep, but as I haven't used it much, would grep -r alert_contact * be the correct command? Is there a way to prevent processes overwhelming the results?

Message 12 of 17
StephenB
Guru

Did you try rebooting the NAS and retesting?

@jeremy-m wrote:

I will try grep, but as I haven't used it much, would grep -r alert_contact * be the correct command? Is there a way to prevent processes overwhelming the results?

Best to first remount the root to /mnt, in order to prevent the search from covering the data volume

mount --bind / /mnt

Then search in /mnt.

When done, make sure you aren't in /mnt, and then unmount using

umount /mnt

Note the spelling - umount, not unmount.

As far as grep goes, I suggest

grep -rn "emailaddress" /mnt

Message 13 of 17
jeremy-m
Aspirant

@StephenB wrote:

Did you try rebooting the NAS and retesting?

Yes, with the same result.

I tried the grep search, but the results were overwhelmed with old log information about failed alert emails, thus creating a list that got cropped by Putty again. The other problem, is the email address is also used for my user account, so lots of the results have nothing to do with alert emails.

Do you have any solution for these issues?

Thank you for all your help.

I guess at some point, the only option left will be to reset the NAS to factory defaults.

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@jeremy-m wrote:

I tried the grep search, but the results were overwhelmed with old log information about failed alert emails, thus creating a list that got cropped by Putty again. The other problem, is the email address is also used for my user account, so lots of the results have nothing to do with alert emails.

Do you have any solution for these issues?

You could either exclude the folder the logs are in, or re-run the command on one subfolder of /mnt at a time.

@jeremy-m wrote:

I guess at some point, the only option left will be to reset the NAS to factory defaults.

You could try removing the alert email setup from the web ui, and then do an OS reinstall from the boot menu.  That has a couple of side effects:

• admin password reset to password
  • network reconfigured to use dhcp with no bonding
  • volume quota turned off on volume settings wheel

So you'd need to adjust those, and then try setting up email alerts again.

Message 15 of 17
jeremy-m
Aspirant

How many emails do you get per alert?

Use have two different email addresses involved in alerts, I have three. Could that be the reason I get three emails for each alert, that are all sent to the one recipient?

Also, I might just reset to factory, as I never set the NAS up properly, when I first got it. I need to make some changes to allow some Raspberry Pi's to boot off it, so I was thinking of reading the manual (need to do that to make the changes), and then reconfiguring lots, or very little. So, it wouldn't involve much more than resetting to factory.

Once again, thank you for all your time and your suggestions.

Message 16 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@jeremy-m wrote:

How many emails do you get per alert?

At the moment, I use yahoo to send them.  Alerts are sent both to the yahoo address and my normal gmail address.  

I only get one message per alert on gmail - with one exception.  The defragmentation started message is sent twice (which is a longstanding OS-6 bug).

I also get only one message per alert on yahoo.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements