× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 Cannot communicate with UPS

Tammorat
Aspirant

RN104 Cannot communicate with UPS

Hello everyone and anyone that looks at this, 

I'm having an issue where my RN104 will not stay connected to the UPS. It will show up on the front screen of the RN104 and in the admin page for a few moments when I plug in the UPS by a USB cord, but when I look at the UPS settings and close out or when the power page refreshes, I will get an "error communicating with UP" and "cannot communicate with UPS" warnings and the UPS disapears from the UPS configuration.

Tammorat_0-1647400609836.png

I have 2 different UPS's at home and I have tried to connect to each one with the same results.

a Staco Energy Products SB-04001 (don't judge I got it for free)

and a Tripp Lite SMART1500LCDT

Tammorat_1-1647401902662.png

any help to get at least a stable consistent communication would be appreciated. 

my perfect end goal would be to have the RN104 do a graceful shutdown as soon as the UPS went to battery power.  

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Tammorat
Aspirant

Re: RN104 Cannot communicate with UPS

So in light of not getting any more help other then "did you try a different cable/port" I ended up looking and finding a small APC UPS (600M1) as I have seen in other post that they (APC) are the most likely to play nice and communicate with ReadyNas systems.  

Ive run a test with the rn104 only connected to the APC by the USB and ran a work light to drain the UPS down to trigger the RN104 graceful shutdown. worked perfectly. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Likely you've tried this, but just in case. Have you:

• used a different USB cable?
  • tried a different USB port? (perhaps on the other side of the chassis)

Also, what firmware are you running?

Message 2 of 5
Tammorat
Aspirant

I have tried 2 different cables to the Staco but not to the Tripplite. the Tripplite is 25' away and I only have one cable that can reach it. the cable to the tripplite is brand new just for this. As to the USB ports I know I have tried a variation of using all three but I cant say with 100% certainty that I have tried to used each cable in each port to each USB.  

Firmware is 6.10.7

Message 3 of 5
Tammorat
Aspirant

I have tried moving the cable to each of the usb ports on the RN104 but have seen no improvement in the stability of the communication between the RN104 and the TrippLite.

Message 4 of 5
Tammorat
Aspirant

So in light of not getting any more help other then "did you try a different cable/port" I ended up looking and finding a small APC UPS (600M1) as I have seen in other post that they (APC) are the most likely to play nice and communicate with ReadyNas systems.  

Ive run a test with the rn104 only connected to the APC by the USB and ran a work light to drain the UPS down to trigger the RN104 graceful shutdown. worked perfectly. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements