× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 'Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm)' message

lawriebuck
Aspirant

RN104 'Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm)' message

Hey all,

This morning on my RN104 I got the error message "Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm)", However the fan is running flat out, sounding almost like a hair dryer. No adjustment to the fan speed settings in the Admin page seem to make any difference.

Recent changes: 12 days ago I installed a new drive after a drive became degraded. I then upgraded from 6.10.2 to 6.10.3.

A reboot makes no difference.

I am running 6.10.3 firmware.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue may be and a possible fix?

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RN104 'Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm)' message

It sounds like the tachometer signal from the fan isn't working.  Obviously, use warranty replacement if that's an option.  Otherwise, hopefully, it's the fan itself and a fairly easy fix by replacing it.  If it's the monitor circuit, there's nothing you can do save add a "pad" that lowers the fan speed (but does nothing to correct the NAS's ability to monitor or control the speed).

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN104 'Fan System in enclosure Internal speed is below threshold. (0 rpm)' message

@lawriebuck

Welcome to the Community!

Do you notice if there's a change in the temp of the NAS itself? or the drives might be running hot.

If you still have warranty on your RN104, which is 3 years it is best to contact Support so they can issue you RMA if needed.

HTH

Message 2 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

It sounds like the tachometer signal from the fan isn't working.  Obviously, use warranty replacement if that's an option.  Otherwise, hopefully, it's the fan itself and a fairly easy fix by replacing it.  If it's the monitor circuit, there's nothing you can do save add a "pad" that lowers the fan speed (but does nothing to correct the NAS's ability to monitor or control the speed).

Message 3 of 9
lawriebuck
Aspirant

Hey @Marc_V 

Thank you for your reply.

Both drives are maintaining a steady 19 to 20 degrees C (68 degrees F).

The CPU temp is a pretty steady 34 degrees C (91 degrees F).

I no longer have warranty on this product so I am happy to do whatever is economically viable to repair it.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Message 4 of 9
lawriebuck
Aspirant

Hello @Sandshark

Thanks for your suggestion!

Out of warranty unfortunately.

I was hoping it might be a software issue with a software fix, but I'm happy to change out the fan to see if that will fix it.

Can you suggest any other troubleshooting I could do to help me to determine if it is a software or hardware issue?

Regards,

Lawrence

Message 5 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

If you have any old fan you can connect temporarilly to see if it then senses the RPM, that would be good.  Otherwise, I don't know of anything without an oscilloscope or frequency counter.

Message 6 of 9
lawriebuck
Aspirant

@Sandshark 

Great! I'll give that a crack and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lawrence

Message 7 of 9
lawriebuck
Aspirant

So, I got a new fan to replace the old one.

I could not find a fan with similar specs to the original fan ( Protechnic MAGIC MGT9212YB-025 ) so I replaced it with what seemed to be a respected model ( NOCTUA NF-B9 redux-1600 )

No more error messages. Drives and CPU running at 33 degrees C and 53 degrees C respectively.

Thanks @Sandshark@Marc_V  for your suggestions!

Lawrence

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

Glad to be of assistance, and that your problem was so cheaply fixed.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements