× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 Lacking some basic features?

beamerboyle
Aspirant

RN104 Lacking some basic features?

I purchased a RN104 early in December so I could off load SMB shared from a dedicated machine, more for the energy saving (220kwh/m).

The transition has gone fairly smoothly new disks for the nas (2x3TB in raid 1, 2 bays free for future expansion) and the 300GB of critical data has been copied over 1TB+ of media is still on the old system and will look at moving it in the new year. I've added a 1TB drive via USB for nightly backup of the critical data but I'm thinking of moving this to a SMB share on a server in another building just in case. The other media isn't important and I'm happy the NAS will be sufficient protection. It can always be re-ripped I'm just far tooo lazy to get a disc out when I want to watch it 😉 Finally a share for backing up the 1TB Raid 1 VM data store from an esxi host (currently 300GB used).

I'm not in a high usage environment (approx 2 GB of sftp nightly DB backups from remote hosts) watching a film every other night and serving 2 users with word / excel during the day. I found the snapshot feature really useful for the share containing word & excel documents.

I would like to connect an external USB drive taken out of the esxi host for cctv recording. approx 18mbps throughput (3 cams) this is currently a 2TB AV drive attached to a windows server 2008 VM managing the shares, different user for each camera each with a 500GB quota. It seams the RN104 is unable to assign per share per user quotas? which would lead each camera to assume it could user the whole 2TB drive (only 1 would win). the current setup works fine but I'd like to recover the resources for use in other VM. I'd Assumed quotas were a fairly basic feature.

Second feature would be displaying disk usage per share on the shares > shares page. Currently it shows the folder icon with name underneath then Type, Protocols, Snapshots, Available. It would be advantageous to see how much each share is using at a glance without having to browse to the share from a windows machine, select everything, properties then wait for the numbers to add up. I'm used to having each set of data on it's own raid 1 array one click on my computer shows exactly how much each is using.
Message 1 of 4
anzharip
Aspirant

Re: RN104 Lacking some basic features?

Yes, it seems there's no such thing to create quota/limit per folder/share/user.

I wonder myself, is it that hard to enable the feature? As far as I know enabling quota on Linux SAMBA is easy. Well, who knows. Only the dev people and God knows...
Message 2 of 4
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the feature requests.

We are using BTRFS for the filesystem. This filesystem has allowed us to add a number of features to assist with data protection such as unlimited snapshots, checksums, bitrot protection etc. Quotas are handled differently with BTRFS. It's my understanding that quotas have been one of the more experimental features of BTRFS. It is a feature I would like to see added.

The ability to easily view disk usage per share would be nice too, but again this isn't as simple as it might sound. It has been requested for a long time, but hasn't been possible since we dropped Share security mode (Share security mode is no longer compatible with new OSes) several years ago.

If you can enable a quota for a protocol e.g. SAMBA that is pretty useless if you have more than one protocol enabled on the NAS.
Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

It seems to me that disk usage per share would be simple with ext, so I don't really see the connection to share security mode. At the very least, it would be simple to have a tool which analyzed disk usage and reported the results.

btrfs is a different matter though. I believe that btrfs quotas need to be enabled just to get a usage breakdown (the tricky part is apparently not only the quota itself, it is also accurately tracking space usage with CoW). At least that is the implication here: http://lwn.net/Articles/579009/ Figuring out how to apply a quota in a meaningful way isn't obvious with btrfs generally, but I think the usage of btrfs in ReadyNAS is structured enough that it could be usefully applied at the share level.

I'd also like to see it added as soon as it is judged to be stable. It'd be very helpful to get a more detailed analysis of space usage - perhaps as a maintenance task, with emailing results.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements