× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 - Maximum Capacity

mar2251
Aspirant

RN104 - Maximum Capacity

Hi,

I have an RN104 running the latest software.

Would there be a problem and an inability to give it 4 x 6Tb Hard Drives? Or even 8Tb Drives.

I want to increase the back up capacity but don't know if there are internal, built in limits that would prevent this.

Thanks

Albert

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RN10400 - Maximum Capacity

Part of the point of mentioning 10TB disks is that if you do get 6TB/8TB disks there is still some potential there for future volume expansion.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 16

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@mar2251 wrote:

I have an R104 running the latest software.

Would there be a problem and an inability to give it 4 x 6Tb Hard Drives? Or even 8Tb Drives.

There used to be a 16 TiB ceiling, but that was removed in OS 6.4.0. The system recognizes the drives properly (I've used WD60EFRX and WD80EFZX in my RN102, though that was JBOD, not RAID).

So an RN104 running 6.6.1 will work with 4x6TB or 4x8TB drives. 

But the resync time goes up with capacity - it could easily take 4-5 days on an RN104 with drives this large.  You might also want to avoid installing apps and turning off unnecessariy services, in order to maximize the memory available.

Also, you should research the drive mounting hole positions before you purchase.  Some of the larger drives no longer have the center side slots - if that's the case, you need to remove the plastic inserts in the drive tray, and use screws to attach the drives using the bottom slots.  

Some drives also are using "alternative mount positions" on the bottom, so some of the holes in the tray bottom might not line up.  Netgear added new holes in the tray bottom last fall to accomodate the alternative mount positions..

Message 2 of 16
mar2251
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm a little confused.

As previousloy mentioned I have an R10400 running the latest software.

I am not doing a RAID but simply JBOD Saving - 4 Drives on my Desktop Computer direct to 4 Drives on the NASS.

What i'm trying to determine is if there is a problem with inserting 4 x 6Tb Hard Drives? Or even 8Tb Drives. These would then individually backup the 4 drives that are on my Desktop Computer.

So I want to increase the back up capacity of the NASS but dont know if there are NASS internal built in limits that would prevent this.

Thanks

Albert

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

There are some 10TB disks on the compatibility list. Note that with some disks you may need to remove the tool less insert for the drive tray.

There is a performance impact from using higher capacity disks, but you can use them.

Message 4 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@mar2251 wrote:
I'm a little confused.

What in my answer confused you?

@mar2251 wrote:

What i'm trying to determine is if there is a problem with inserting 4 x 6Tb Hard Drives? Or even 8Tb Drives. These would then individually backup the 4 drives that are on my Desktop Computer.

As I said, I've used WD60EFRX (6 TB) and WD80EFZX (8 TB) in my RN10200 using JBOD.  The only difference between the RN102 and your RN104 is that the RN102 only has two drive bays.

RAID performance (resync, etc) shouldn't an issue with JBOD.  But I'd still recommend care in enabling services and apps.  The RN104 has less memory and a slower CPU than the other OS 6 NAS.

As both mdgm and I noted you might need to remove the plastic inserts in the drive trays and use screws instead - depending on what model drives you purchase.  You also might find that some of the mounting holes on the bottom of the drive don't align with the screw holes in the bottom of the tray.

Message 5 of 16
mar2251
Aspirant

Hi,

I really don’t want to get 10Tbs only 6 or 8’s are these equally usable and compatible?

Albert

Message 6 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Third try: Yes, with the considerations noted above.

The hard drive compatibility list is here: https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

Both the WD60EFRX and the WD80EFZX work well.   If you go with Seagate, the best options are the Ironwolf ST6000VN and ST8000VN models (digits after the VN don't matter).  With the Seagates you will have to remove the tooless plastic inserts in the drive tray.

Message 7 of 16
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Part of the point of mentioning 10TB disks is that if you do get 6TB/8TB disks there is still some potential there for future volume expansion.

Message 8 of 16
mar2251
Aspirant

Great thanks for you help. Trying to get the answer from Netgear is like pulling teeth.

Can the Nass memory be upgraded?
Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@mar2251 wrote:

Can the Nas memory be upgraded?

No, it's soldered into the system board.

@mar2251 wrote:
Trying to get the answer from Netgear is like pulling teeth.

The forum is often faster.  Note that some of the folks here are from Netgear (including @mdgm-ntgr)

Message 10 of 16
capaz
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

The hard drive compatibility list is here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/readynas-general/message-id/13695

I think you may have grabbed the wrong URL.  🙂

I did find the compat. list here, though:  https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@capaz wrote:

I think you may have grabbed the wrong URL.  🙂

I did find the compat. list here, though:  https://kb.netgear.com/20641/ReadyNAS-Hard-Disk-Compatibility-List

Looks like a cut/paste error on my part.  I've edited my original post, just in case someone else clicks there.

I'm glad you found it on your own.

Message 12 of 16
mar2251
Aspirant

Hi

Do you know if it's possible to increase the internal memory on the Nass in order to make it quicker?

if so, What would be required.

Albert

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

The memory is soldered to the system board, so it is not upgradable.

Message 14 of 16
Mr_Fr33z
Aspirant

@mar2251 wrote:

Do you know if it's possible to increase the internal memory on the Nass in order to make it quicker?

if so, What would be required.

Albert

Dear Albert.

Trully, I admire your inquisitiveness.

*You are perfectly right TO NOT believe in all those precise and comprehensive responses of most competent people on this forum.

** IT IS POSSIBLE to increase internal memory of your NAS

You would need ONLY:

- about 10y of technical studies in electronic/electric/software faculties

- team about 10-15 persons 

- about few months work with this team 

- some other minor things like i.e. money (about 150K $$$)

.. and then you would be able to design your OWN mainboard with suitable for you, amount of memory - and install it into your NAS. 

Simply isnt it? 

...till then i recommend for you the RTFM policy with combination of Reading with Understading

* possibly i would be banned for this 😜

** sarcasm 

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@Mr_Fr33z wrote:
* possibly i would be banned for this ;P

** sarcasm 

Personal attacks are out of bounds, criticism of Netgear is generally allowed. 

FWIW, we often do get questions on upgrades here (CPU and memory).  The ARM models can't be upgraded, but it is possible to upgrade memory on the others. Warranty is voided, and some units (particularly v1 ReadyNAS) are very fussy about the memory.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements