× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 OS695 unable to send alert messages

Lesage
Aspirant

RN104 OS695 unable to send alert messages

Hello,

Since May, 2018, my RN104 is unable to send alert messages.

Formerly, this was working well.

When using the "Send message" test, I get a pop-up window which says : "Unable to send message, check parameters".

I do not use Microsoft,  nor Google message systems. I use a mail account from my internet provider (Orange, France).

I have tried several times to suppress, then re-enter the message parameters. I have checked these parameter's validity with Oultlook to make sure there was no error. I have closed down, then re-started the RN104 unsuccesfully.

I am used to update the OS6 software as soon as I notice a new version, Presently it runs under OS695HFix1. The problem still exists

Best regards

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: RN104 OS695 unable to send alert messages

Some insights - access your ReadyNAS by ssh and the root account (has to be enabled) using the admin password.

The SMTP config is held (this hasn't changed for a while when I have it right) in /etc/msmtprc

# cat /etc/msmtprc
... (don't post to much - coan contain real email and password details)

The email notification systems does log to  /var/log/frontview/msmtp.log so (successful only?) messages are logged here

# cat /var/log/frontview/msmtp.log

Most easy one ot start investigating is using 

# sendmail -i [emailaddress]

test
(emtpy line!)
(empty line!)
CRTL-D
(emtpy line!)
(empty line!)
(empty line!)

root@RN628X:~# sendmail -i towhateeremailaddress@wherever.test

sendmail: envelope from address email-for-authentication@domain.demo not accepted by the server
sendmail: server message: 535-5.7.8 Username and Password not accepted. Learn more at
sendmail: server message: 535 5.7.8 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=BadCredentials q19sm2009370eja.59 - gsmtp
sendmail: could not send mail (account default from /etc/msmtprc)

Ok, I've used a "real" email hosted at Google, and they are informative - for this demo I had chaged the config file manually.

===

The required configuration for orange.fr is here (when I have it right):

Outgoing Mail Server
Account Type: SMTP
Username: Your email address is your username
Server hostname: smtp.orange.fr
Server port: 465
Authentication: Password
SSL/TLS: Yes

Message 2 of 6
Lesage
Aspirant

Thank you for the response

I understand that you suggest to connect to the ReadyNas through an SSL connection from another (distant) computer, then inspect the log file, which is hidden in the root account. Of course, access to this root holder/file should be enabled beforehand.

Do you mean that the log file is unaccessible from Windows Explorer upon my Windows10 PC ?

I have checked the configuration for the outgoing mail server : it is correct

Best regards

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@Lesage wrote:

I understand that you suggest to connect to the ReadyNas through an SSL connection from another (distant) computer, then inspect the log file, which is hidden in the root account. Of course, access to this root holder/file should be enabled beforehand.

Do you mean that the log file is unaccessible from Windows Explorer upon my Windows10 PC ?

Sure ... SSH it is, yes and yes. 

@Lesage wrote:

I have checked the configuration for the outgoing mail server : it is correct

However it does not work ... 

Message 4 of 6
Lesage
Aspirant

However...

If I connect (inside OS695) through my Microsoft or Google account,

I receive messages (in my Outlook mailbox) from Microsoft or Google, telling that ReadyNas has been given access to my mailbox

But ReadyNAS is still unsuccessful at sending the test message ...

Best,

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

So try the test from the shell ... by SSH ... 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements