× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 vertical expansion with previously formatted disk

GR8JAB
Initiate

RN104 vertical expansion with previously formatted disk

Hi All,

I've got a RN104 using X-RAID.  I'm doing a vertical expansion, and currently am 3TB+3TB+3TB+2TB.

I plan to replace the 2TB drive with another almost new 3TB drive I have.  My only problem is that it was previously used on another RN104.  I do not want/need the data on the drive.

How do I use this drive?  Do I have to format it before swapping with the 2TB drive?  Can I swap it and then format and then resync/expand?

Little help please.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @GR8JAB , to be on the safe side I would remove all partitions from the disk before inserting it into the nas. So, make it blank. Inserting it to the nas after that, being on xraid a resync should be triggerred automatically and within a day or so you should be fine. Kind regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @GR8JAB , to be on the safe side I would remove all partitions from the disk before inserting it into the nas. So, make it blank. Inserting it to the nas after that, being on xraid a resync should be triggerred automatically and within a day or so you should be fine. Kind regards

Message 2 of 4
GR8JAB
Initiate

Thanks for the response!  Today I found a USB-SATA adapter in a drawer at work, and downloaded Western Digital drive tools.  That should do the trick before inserting into the RN104.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@GR8JAB wrote:

That should do the trick before inserting into the RN104.

Yes it will.  You should probably run the non-destructive "long" test to make sure the drive is ok.

Then zero the drive to remove the partitions.  There's an advanced test that does that.  The quick write test is enough to remove the partitions.  But if you have the time, I recommend running the full write-zeros test.  It can find issues that tthe non-destructive test misses (and vice versa).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements