× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 won't power up

booboo59
Apprentice

RN104 won't power up

My RN104 seems to have powered down overnight (maybe there was a power failure?) but this morning it wont power up.  The LAN port is blinking with activity (from the shared switch) but nothing happens when I press the power button.  I've disconnected the power brick, and disconnected the power brink from the wall as well.

Is the unit dead or is there some other troubleshooting I could perform?

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
booboo59
Apprentice

Re: RN104 won't power up

Quick update, and to close the thread.  I received the replacement RN104, and came with 6.2.0.  Next steps:

1. Installed scratch disk, and allowed NAS to format and install firmware

2. Upgraded to 6.5.0

3. Powered down

4. Replaced scratch disk with my old disks

5. Powered back on, and all back to normal

6. Chassis informed me of 6.5.1 and upgraded.  

Will be shipping the failed chassis on Monday.  Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
booboo59
Apprentice

I've now tested the power supply, and I've getting +12VDC on the 2 pins on the flat side, ground on the other 2.  That seems to indicate an issue with the chassis?

Message 2 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Try powering down, and removing the disks (labeling by slot).  Then power up, and see what status you get from RAIDar.

Message 3 of 9
booboo59
Apprentice

Well, it's powered down already.  But won't power up, regardless of having disks, etc.  Already have hardware RMA filed, so will wait for the replacement unit. Thanks!

Message 4 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello booboo59,

I checked your profile and found that you have already spoken with one of the support experts and have processed a replacement for your chassis.

Make sure you label the disks like what Stephen said. Once you receive the replacement chassis, put the disks back to their respective bays while NAS is off. Then power on the NAS and see if RAIDar will detect the NAS and access the files.

Regards,

Message 5 of 9
booboo59
Apprentice

Yes, thank you.  There's actually another step before adding my disks back, and that is ensuring the replacement chassis has fw 6.5.0 or higher, no?   That's what I'm currently on, and I believe I could corrupt my disks if the fw shipped is older....  Any idea if the RMA stock is kept current?

Message 6 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello booboo59,

If the chassis has older FW that might get problems, in that event it is best to contact support and refer to the case number the support expert opened for you so it they will continue with it.

The replacement appears to have been exported to warehouse already. You use Adv. Ground so, I believe that is 3-  4days

Regards,

Message 7 of 9
booboo59
Apprentice

Quick update, and to close the thread.  I received the replacement RN104, and came with 6.2.0.  Next steps:

1. Installed scratch disk, and allowed NAS to format and install firmware

2. Upgraded to 6.5.0

3. Powered down

4. Replaced scratch disk with my old disks

5. Powered back on, and all back to normal

6. Chassis informed me of 6.5.1 and upgraded.  

Will be shipping the failed chassis on Monday.  Thank you.

Message 8 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello booboo59,

Great! That's another way if you have a scratch disk to format and install the NAS just to be able to update the FW.

Feel free to post any suggestion and questions about your Netgear product.

Regards,

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements