× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104

atai1
Aspirant

RN104

Hi,

this can be a stupid question but I need to understand very clear how I can connect my NAS.
Currently I have a very old NV that still works very well (8 yers old) and I want to buy a RN104 to have more space for save my data.
I have seen that this model have 2 LAN ports and I am thinking to connect the RN104 to my lan using one of the LAN port and use the second one to connect the NV, in this way I don't need to buy a new hub.
It's something that can works?

Thanks
Message 1 of 5
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: RN104

It is a good question, technically if you have both static IP's (with the same subnet) on the units they would communicate( like 2 PC's connected on an ad-hoc). I have not tried this myself, but the problem here is the NAS does not have a switching function (I do not know if this matters or not). So I guess, the best way to know is to try it. 🙂
Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

If you want to access the NV+ from other devices (not just the RN104) you will need a new ethernet switch (not a hub - not sure you can even find them any more). Small gigabit switches are usually $20-$30 - nothing compared with your new NAS+disks.
Message 3 of 5
atai1
Aspirant

Thanks for the answers
I know the switch is very cheap but I was curious to understand what the second LAN is use for.
I have a Sonos and I use the LAN ports on the back to connect others equipments to my network and I was thinking to do the same thing with the second LAN port of the RN104
Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

The LAN port can be used for failover, and it can be used for teaming (combining both LAN connections for more throughput).

Some products have an ethernet pass-through port - that's probably the case with the Sonus. The ReadyNAS doesn't do that.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements