× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN10400 without internet will not allow me to login locally

jziggy101
Aspirant

RN10400 without internet will not allow me to login locally

I am running the most current firmware 6.10.1 and today the internet went down due to local maintenance.  I could browse the NAS locally via explorer or the Raidar application but I needed to make a couple changes on the NAS but everytime I tried to access the Admin page locally I was immediately sent to the reset password page instead.  I used the Raidar application to restart the NAS thinking it was a reset issue but still the problem continued.   I tried to login via SSH and all I could do is enter the username and then nothing would happen.

Once the internet was restored I was able to locally connect to the NAS.

This is unacceptable to not be able to access the NAS admin functions when in a local connection state.  Why has Netgear decided that only in when an internet connection is available am I able to login to the Admin functions of my NAS when I am sitting right next to it locally??

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@jziggy101 wrote:

Why has Netgear decided that only in when an internet connection is available am I able to login to the Admin functions of my NAS when I am sitting right next to it locally??

I don't think they have decided that.  Some people do intentionally configure their network to block internet from reaching the NAS, and I haven't seen this reported from them.

What apps and packages do you have installed on the NAS?  If you disconnect your router WAN port, can you reproduce this problem?

FWIW, I updated my browser to Chrome 77 earlier this week, and then discovered I couldn't log into either the ReadyNAS or Orbi. Instead the browser went directly to the password reset page.  Today that's not happening, so I am thinking Google might have pushed a hot fix.

But that wouldn't explain ssh.  Were you logging in as root?

Message 2 of 7
jziggy101
Aspirant

I was not able to login as either Root (admin) or another user.  When I tried going to the NAS by its ip address I would instantly be presented with the Reset Password page so I was unable to get to the NAS via the web.  I could get to the shares via Network icon (windows 10) and see the contents of the shares.  So I would be able to move files around but that wasn't what I needed to do.  I wanted to create some new shares and set the properties on those new shares.

I am currentlyu only running the SMB app on my Readynas.  

I just tried disconnecting the internet from my router and surprise I was able to login to the NAS.  Now I am not sure what was causing the issue.

Message 3 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@jziggy101 wrote:

Now I am not sure what was causing the issue.

Hopefully it won't happen again.

Message 4 of 7
bedlam1
Prodigy

I also experienced problems yesterday

Windows Explorer was OK

Chrome 77 gave me password reset page (after briefly displaying the normal login page)

SSH (Putty) gave me access denied for my NAS admin password

I did a OS Re-install so not sure if that fixed it or a Chrome hot fix, but all is well today

Message 5 of 7
jziggy101
Aspirant

I agree with your last statement.

I will consider this closed unless it happens again.

Thanks

Message 6 of 7
Sandshark
Sensei

@jziggy101 wrote:

I was not able to login as either Root (admin) or another user. 

Root is not the same as admin and admin does not have root privilages.  When logging in to SSH, you use the actual user name root.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements