× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN1044 6.5.2 can't login

mobiusnz
Aspirant

RN1044 6.5.2 can't login

Ok - I have an RN10400 thats been running well for years. I have four disks with a fair amount of data in Raid Pairs.

We had it on network 2 (192.168.0.X) working with Active Directory linked to a Server 2016 domain.

There was a VPN link between that subnet and network 1 (192.168.20.X) that had another two servers in the same AD domain.

The two branches moved into the same building at the start of this week and the network 2 2016 Server had its IP changed to the 192.168.20.X subnet and all is working well. EXCEPT for the ReadyNAS.

It still has a static IP bound of 192.168.0.251 to the top NIC and the lower NIC is on DHCP. It doesn't seem to matter what I try but I can't access the data (Even though RaidAR and the LCD all reports thats ok thank goodness) or the Admin page. With the admin page I get there from time to time and the initial page loads but rapidly anything I click on I get the spinning wheel and then "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin Page".

Maybe its because its stuck retrying trying to talk to the A/D server to download a list of users?? I can't tell when address I had in there - Perhaps I had a full DNS name for the server - Maybe I had an IP. Its a busy network so trying to put the server and router back to their old IP's is probematic to say the least and to be honest I'm not 100% sure what IP it was previously on.

Sometimes when I first get to the Admin page it offers me a firmware update to 6.10.X (Can't remember last digit right this second) but I'm nervous to push go incase it fails to update and makes matters worse.

Perhaps I need to download the firmware onto a USB and do an update - If thats the best way to proceed can someone point me to the process and assure me that the drives will remain accessible after the update (assure to the normal but you really should backup first level). 

They have backups of a good chunk but due to a lot of data movement and archival lately its not all backed up.

I've seen a fair ammount of talk like this for 6.5.2 so not sure if its a bug or if its because its stuck trying to sync the user list from AD (But then I guess thats a bug that it renders the NAS unusable)

I managed to download the logs last night to my laptop at home when I experimented with setting up the right subnet on a spare router that gave internet access. Today I can't but RAIDar doesn't run on this pc - It runs, starts the search and closes so I'll try on another PC. Will the logs indicate the name/IP of the A/D server its looking for - I could find reference to it looking and the AD domain name but nothing referencing how it was trying to contact it.

Please Help - Terrible time of year for it.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
mobiusnz
Aspirant

Re: RN1044 6.5.2 can't login

Ok - Well its the new year now and after the Christmas holidays things have settled down and its just worked again.
I tried it on the second NIC (on dhcp) and then bought it to my office and tried various things.

Then the Xmas holidays hit so its been sitting locked up in the workshop.

Today I took it back, plugged it in (Again - NIC2 on DHCP) and its working perfectly and the authentication via Windows Server AD is all working.

Perhaps it was actually a problem on the AD itself with merger of servers back to one site requiring IP changes and DNS cache etc but whatever the case its all going.

Now to back it up and do some more firmware updates.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running now?

Message 2 of 11
mobiusnz
Aspirant

6.5.2 - Sorry - I put it on the subject but not in the body 🙂

I've found a bit of talk around 6.5.2 and some took drives out and wiped them which I don't want to do. Others maraculously started working and some got assistance from Netgear engineers.

I'm tempted to login to the page and click the upgrade button but that could make things worse potentially - At least in my head if the background processes aren't running correctly it might not complete the updated. I could be wrong there and that might be the best thing to do but figured I'd run it past people who have a greater experience of the devices.

Message 3 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@mobiusnz wrote:

6.5.2 - Sorry - I put it on the subject but not in the body 🙂

I was asking because there are is a migration path you need to follow if you are running firmware older than 6.5.2  But that won't affect you. Still it would be good to resolve your issues before moving forward.

If you have the antivirus service enabled, you should probably disable that.

I am wondering if you had bonding enabled before.  There were some issues with older firmware misbehaving when bonding was removed or settings changed.

Message 4 of 11
mobiusnz
Aspirant

Antivirus is disabled and I don't recall even attempting bonding. The fact one is on a static IP still and one is on DHCP would indicate thats off?

Message 5 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@mobiusnz wrote:

I don't recall even attempting bonding. The fact one is on a static IP still and one is on DHCP would indicate thats off?

Likely bonding wasn't configured, but I am confused on why you can't change the IP configuration on NIC-1.

Normally an unused NIC would show up as using DHCP, since that is the default.  So somehow NIC-1 got set to something else.  Since 198.168.0.251 was on the old network, I am thinking it might have been configured to use a static address when first set up.

Which of the two NICs are connected now?

Message 6 of 11
mobiusnz
Aspirant

Yeah - NIC 1 was setup on that static IP address. Nic 2 was never previously used. 

When I put a pc on that subnet and even put in a router on that subnet with internet access I could get to the login prompt and then it would sit there and eventually show loading admin....

Its now plugged into my network on NIC 2 with DHCP and with that I get the page to load and can click on a setting or another option and it loads but rapidly I just get spinning wheels on some settings and then the page eventually gives me the "Connecting to the ReadyNAS Admin page" loading bar.

I've tried going to users, authentication hoping it might show me the server config (If its IP or DNS Name as I can't remember) but it never loads.

Every time I get to that front page I get the upgrade prompt and thats a real 50/50 for me - It might update and work perfectly - It might attempt an update and local part way and make matters worse.

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 7 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@mobiusnz wrote:

Every time I get to that front page I get the upgrade prompt and thats a real 50/50 for me - It might update and work perfectly - It might attempt an update and local part way and make matters worse.

FWIW, 6.10.6 has the ability to prevent that check - not sure how far back that goes.  It's on system->settings->update.

6.5.2 -> 6.10.6 is big jump, and everthing did work before the move.  So I would also be cautious now about allowing the update just yet.

You could try downloading the configuration archive (system->settings->configuration backup), and then go through the downloaded zip.  That might give you the information you are looking for.

If you are careful, you can change a config file, and upload it.  But you need to use an editor that preserves linux conventions on crlf.  Notepad++ is a free one that does (not the same as notepad).  Or enable ssh, and use the linux command line.

Message 8 of 11
mobiusnz
Aspirant

I'll give it a go but no matter what browser or PC I try I get the same result so I don't think the admin page will allow me to do it.

Message 9 of 11
Sandshark
Sensei

An OS re-install will typically reset the Ethernet connection to DHCP, but I'm not sure if your more atypical issue will be solved by that.  Does the GUI allow you to completely disable the Ethernt connection that's on the wrong subnet?  That might help with the raodblock that seems to be getting in the way when you use the other one.

Message 10 of 11
mobiusnz
Aspirant

Ok - Well its the new year now and after the Christmas holidays things have settled down and its just worked again.
I tried it on the second NIC (on dhcp) and then bought it to my office and tried various things.

Then the Xmas holidays hit so its been sitting locked up in the workshop.

Today I took it back, plugged it in (Again - NIC2 on DHCP) and its working perfectly and the authentication via Windows Server AD is all working.

Perhaps it was actually a problem on the AD itself with merger of servers back to one site requiring IP changes and DNS cache etc but whatever the case its all going.

Now to back it up and do some more firmware updates.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements