× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN204 performance/reviews

reno1
Aspirant

RN204 performance/reviews

Hi,

I was initially looking to buy the RN314 before finding out about the RN204. What interests me with the RN204 is the lower power consumption (ARM processor) and the claimed speeds 200MB/s and 160MB/s are impressive.

There are plenty of RN314 reviews around, but none for the RN204. I was wondering if anyone has benchmarked how it performs with read/write of many small files, especially in relation to the RN314?

Thanks

- reno
Message 1 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN204 performance/reviews

Anything faster than ~120 MB/sec requires nic teaming.

My RN202 is using WD30EFRX disks in jbod mode, gigabit ethernet w/o jumbo frames. Antivirus is disabled and the volume is not encrypted. Bitrot protection, compression and snapshots were disabled for the share I used for testing.

Throughput with large files (400 MB, using Nastester 1.7) is ~92 MB/s write and ~96 MB/s read speeds. I don't own an RN314, so I have no comparable data for it. SmallNetbuilder.com got around 100 MB/s for the RN312 back in 2013.

So my RN202 is not saturating a single gigabit NIC (despite the datasheet claims). However, the file sharing performance nearly the same as the RN314, and it is much faster than my RN102. I am quite happy with the performance, but if I were running a business with several simultaneous users I'd probably go with an RN300 or RN500.

Getting small file performance data would be useful, but it would be hard to compare results done by different testers unless we all used a common tool (and config).
Message 2 of 3
reno1
Aspirant

Re: RN204 performance/reviews

Thanks for sharing your experience with the RN202.

I guess small file performance relies heavily on the CPU and that's where the 200 series and 300 series differ. It'll be interesting to see how the Cortex ARM A15 CPU stacks up against the older Atom D2700 in this regard.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements